Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning Tigers
07-09-2014, 01:02 AM,
RE: Burning Tigers
So the new improved marker counters are poor as indicators of what is happening on the board ? Excellent, looks as if plain old red and black DIS & DEM will continue to be used by MB's Cave dwellers as he likes to call people not swayed by the propaganda.
07-09-2014, 01:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2014, 01:28 AM by Hugmenot.)
Vince, if you got that impression from my post, please consider I have limited vision and my specific situation is unlikely applicable to someone with 20/20 corrected vision.
07-09-2014, 01:41 AM,
I do think the older styles of counters (this is the fourth version of the PG utility countersheet in 14 years) will soldier on for some time. The new photo-style counters might look kinda cool on one map scenarios though,.
07-09-2014, 02:00 AM,
(07-09-2014, 01:28 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Vince, if you got that impression from my post, please consider I have limited vision and my specific situation is unlikely applicable to someone with 20/20 corrected vision.

Daniel,

No, it was from Larry's post. Again, perhaps a red and black border around the prettier counters for DIS & DEM would have kept with tradition and made things immediately identifiable.
07-09-2014, 03:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2014, 08:44 AM by campsawyer.)
Quick identity is key for me, staying with the old. I have a nice utility box that has enough to cover even the large scenarios. Have both red/black on white and the reverse and they work well for me.
07-09-2014, 07:02 AM,
I was hoping there would be at least a 2 to 1 ratio of scenarios between the south and the north. Actually I'm surprised they didn't take the plan of doing BT as just covering IIIrd and XLVIIIth Panzer Korps to the right and left of IInd SS Panzer Korps and then do the 9th Armee as a book.
07-09-2014, 07:57 AM,
If Perryman wants to do it, an Operation Kutusov book would be nice, covering the Soviet offensive that began on July 12 on the North eastern end of the Kursk salient. There was a southern offensive as well. Kutosove threatened to cut off the complete 9th army and would have forced a retreat from the Citadel highwater mark whether or not Hitler had called off the offensive due to the landings in Sicily and Italy's political collapse.
07-10-2014, 11:27 PM,
And that could be done as a book and maybe a small counter sheet. The attacks down south were three part. Against the tip of the salient, opposite Belgorod and across the Mius River down where 1st Panzer Armee was. All of that could be done as a book and a small counter sheet too. It would probably take around 50 to 60 scenarios to cover the topic. With the terrain around the rivers it would be a excellent chance to put that swamp board in a PG product. I could even see it as a boxed product. Call it PG: Red Army Attacks! or Red Army Resurgent! or On to Kharkov! since this series of actions was the last time that city changed hands.
07-12-2014, 12:03 AM,
(07-10-2014, 11:27 PM)zaarin7 Wrote: And that could be done as a book and maybe a small counter sheet. The attacks down south were three part. Against the tip of the salient, opposite Belgorod and across the Mius River down where 1st Panzer Armee was. All of that could be done as a book and a small counter sheet too. It would probably take around 50 to 60 scenarios to cover the topic. With the terrain around the rivers it would be a excellent chance to put that swamp board in a PG product. I could even see it as a boxed product. Call it PG: Red Army Attacks! or Red Army Resurgent! or On to Kharkov! since this series of actions was the last time that city changed hands.

I'm not familiar with the details of them, but with 4 battles over Kharkov could the same maps also depict the earlier battles there too?
warstudent aka Jim
07-12-2014, 12:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2014, 01:03 AM by larry marak.)
Probably, or you could do a boxed set with the o.b. for all 4 battles and 2-4 panels depicting Kharkov in the early 40's. Four Battles, same terrain. A companion volume, with contemporary maps done for PGM would do the 5th Battle of Kharkiv (as its currently spelled) between Russian insurgents and the Ukrainian army, including intervention by Russian forces.

Now John Stafford has stated that MPG ends around 1980, to be preplaced by very modern PG 1981-2000 and ultraPG 2001 to present, so maybe it wouldn't quite fit the company's plans. Still waiting for the first ACW PG boxed game, which is on the back burner 3 stoves deep. (and I'm not making any of this up folks).