Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning Tigers
03-05-2014, 01:16 AM,
Burning Tigers
The maps are up as a preview. Just one thing. Which one is supposed to be Ponyri?
03-05-2014, 01:50 AM,
RE: Burning Tigers
I'd guess Ponyri could be represented by map 40, but none of them look like my mental image of the village. On the otherhand, the struggle for Ponyri is more a Advanced Tobruk type situation (see Iron Gods by Critical Hit, an incredible and exhausting gaming look at the fight for Ponyri at the squad and leader level).
03-05-2014, 05:38 AM,
Be interesting to see the map layout in the scenario(s) dealing with the high point of 9th Army.
03-05-2014, 06:07 AM,
I am looking forward to playing a scenario with maps 43 (north) and 41 (south), with both numbers facing east. With lots and lots of artillery for the side defending on board 41.

Map 41 may quickly become one of my favorite maps.
03-05-2014, 07:31 AM,
(03-05-2014, 06:07 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I am looking forward to playing a scenario with maps 43 (north) and 41 (south), with both numbers facing east. With lots and lots of artillery for the side defending on board 41.

Map 41 may quickly become one of my favorite maps.

Looking to raise casualty counts again !!
03-05-2014, 08:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014, 08:06 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Maps 16 & 19 produce a similar effect. A few RtB scenarios have Tiger II's up on those heights of maps 16 (and/or 14) hammering the Stalinists assembled on the relatively clear terrain boards.

Whilst I acknowledge the skill Guy demonstrates with the artwork, I cannot find the "mesa-like" elevated terrain congenial. I don't mean as a matter of taste, but rather the problem I find is with coherence vis-a-vis the spotting rules (assuming, for the moment, that the spotting rules make sense). That is, these maps seem more consistent with the idea that unmarked "hill terrain" is "plain" terrain simply raised up by 20-m. I've always rationalized the "all hill terrain is limiting terrain" by the presumption that "hill terrain" is really "rough terrain" (say +/- 5 meters) that simply happens to be enclosed by elevation lines at 20-m, 40-m, etc. That is, 20 +/- 5 or 40 +/- 5 etc. Plain terrain I've always viewed as "flat" e.g. +/- 1 or 2 meters.

I don't mean to open up this rabbit hole again from the perspective of right/wrong or better/ worse. I'm simply suggesting that I would have preferred to see the terrain inside of any/all elevation lines "roughened up" a bit to demarcate it as limiting terrain relative to the "flat" or "plain" terrain at zero elevation. Unless ::cough:: 4th Ed is going to change this by introducing "plain" and "rough" terrains that can themselves be fit into any elevation contours desired.
03-05-2014, 08:16 AM,
All 4th edition scenarios only take place in Holland. There are no hills or elevations !
03-05-2014, 08:24 AM,
(03-05-2014, 08:16 AM)vince hughes Wrote: All 4th edition scenarios only take place in Holland. There are no hills or elevations !

ROFL! Elevation Lines => Immersion Lines
03-05-2014, 10:03 AM,
I guess I will be the ney sayer on the maps. Although graphicly nice, there are playablity problems with them. To continue with what PY said, the slope hexes thst are outside the contour line is something new. Given the rule that artwork defines the hex, and a phrase, having the slope terrain outside the contour seems that it is limiting but just not at a higher elevation. I wonder if that is what the designer wanted. Second, is the shadowing. I am not a fan of this as it tends to mask the terrain features in the neighboring hexes. Last is the darkness of these latest maps. Liberation is very bad, darker than Saipan. I hope this is a issue Guy can address as he has said he would, but it is affecting my desire to play these newer games.
03-05-2014, 05:33 PM,
Alan,

Going forward. Lets just take the slopes as 'art' and use the 'pencilled-in' elevation lines as the actual 'hills'. Its makes life a whole lot easier.