Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning Tigers
06-28-2014, 10:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2014, 10:27 AM by tlangston28.)
RE: Burning Tigers
Burning Tigers are in!

Have not read through the scenarios yet but here is my take:

Counters - The shades are slightly dark but legible and the printing has more of a sheen than the earlier laser counters but they are very sturdy, probably a hair below 1/8" thick or the size of a euro game tile. Since there is no discernable front and back, there is a thin line running across the "back" of the counters to distinguish them from the front, subtle yet makes it easy to determine front and back.

Map - Despite the mostly brown and tan shades, I will say that these are some of the best looking maps I have seen. Lighter brown than the Elsenborn Ridge original maps, the hexes and numbers are very legible and the colors are pleasing to the eye. I don't have South Flank but if they are as good as these, They should reprint the entire Eastern Front series of games with this color palette (adding trees and green fields where necessary, of course).

Well worth the Gold club early price!
06-28-2014, 10:56 AM,
Post a review with pictures if you can here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/85826...ing-tigers
07-01-2014, 03:01 AM,
Discussion on the PG series page on shipping of Burning tigers.

Jun 30, 2014 10:36 am (#22702 Total: 22709)
07-01-2014, 07:08 AM,
Quote: So if I order something today it means I'll get my Burning Tigers faster than if I wait?

It's not meant as policy or a sales inducement, but yes, when we get a complete order (no Gold Club Early Order items) we include any ancient pre-order stuff. It saves some on shipping (though less than you'd think) with the real savings in labor, not having to look up the old order, confirm its address etc.

Be sure to put a note in the Comments section about the ancient order.

I know Zaarin7 has the link, but I thought I would cross post some important shipping info.
07-02-2014, 12:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2014, 12:59 AM by larry marak.)
Put the above to the test (I could always use more Russian, Roumanian, and Wehrmacht units, some of maps 1-8 can be permanently lodged in my Roumanian trilogy box set I created, the coversleeve will fit just fine over my Deluxe EF box, and I always need more black silk boxes)....win win. My Tigers are shipping as we speak. :-)

No, I'm not made of money, but my employer pays out the value of two floating holidays a year if I work them, and payday's Thursday.
07-03-2014, 11:59 PM,
I received my copy yesterday.

* Nice, thick counters and while I love them, some will not like their thickness.
* The new markers are very nice (and thinner than the counters) but it may take some time before I am able to assess a situation quickly without the red (disrupted) and black (demoralized) markers.
* The maps are gorgeous and blend well with the South Flank maps.
* The fire charts are in color on thick cardstock. They have a watermark picture like the charts in Sword of Israel. Very nice looking and should be well received. Unfortunately for me, watermarks makes the chart harder to read due to my severe nystagmus. I will probably end up doing a B$W copy for myself,
* TEC is now a 11x17 two-sided chart, folded in the middle (like a map).
* Scenarios are generally medium size or larger, and I noticed only two scenarios that I would call small upon a first perusal of the scenario book. That really hit my sweet spot.

My first impressions are thus very positive (I love the counters, maps, and scenarios) and I am very eager to see it on the table.
07-04-2014, 12:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014, 12:57 AM by larry marak.)
Answer the question on everyone's lips...the assault table, is it a 2d6 table, and is it different (less brutal) than Modern PG?

I may have the answer to this one myself in 3 hours! I took Dr. B. up on his offer during Monday's big brooha on Consimworld...order a game from the sale including a note about the kursk pre-order and your Kursk will be added to it. 72 hour turn around.

This begs the question, if I hadn't ordered a back-up copy of EF ($55 with gc discount and shipping) would I have received KNF in a few days anyway?
07-04-2014, 02:01 AM,
(07-03-2014, 11:59 PM)Hugmenot Wrote: I received my copy yesterday.

Ditto (along with KSF). APL must have had their mid-Atlantic mailing.

Agree with what you wrote except that I am not sanguine regarding the markers. I much prefer the visually less distracting counters (in warm/cool color variants). I'll continue to use them.

Yes, assault is now 2d6.

The KSF counters are the thinner tile-type -- dunno if that was always the case, but they are nice as well, though not so thick as the KBT ones.

Oh, and received the Moroccans counter-sheet. Was really hoping GD'43 would come as those would/will be used in KBT ... so hopefully they will come with Pusan? HINT HINT BEG BEG to any APL powers-that-be who might read this.
07-04-2014, 02:14 AM,
I sure would like to see my copy one day.
07-04-2014, 02:40 AM,
(07-04-2014, 02:14 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: I sure would like to see my copy one day.

I'd like my Ruhr River Battles campaign ribbon. Wonder which of us will receive satisfaction first?