Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RESOLVED] average ratings for Top 20 Most Played Scenarios
09-03-2012, 12:26 PM,
[RESOLVED] average ratings for Top 20 Most Played Scenarios
Funny, now that I've finally done this little tweak I can't find the thread(s) that requested it?

Anyways, Top 20 Most Played Scenarios now lists their average ratings.

Surprise! Most of them suck. I hope this dissuades further attempts!

Link
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-03-2012, 05:14 PM,
RE: [RESOLVED] average ratings for Top 20 Most Played Scenarios
(09-03-2012, 12:26 PM)Shad Wrote: Surprise! Most of them suck. I hope this dissuades further attempts!

Link

Actually, that is not the case Shad.

13 of them score 3 point something and one is at 2.94.

For anything to be over 3 as the 13 above, that means regular scores of 3 or 4 to maintain that. To have done so over the number of plays shown, shows it to be of a good standard. In that list, I'd think Elsenborn #1 Autumn Mist & #9 St Vith First Probe, along with FoF #1 A Beautiful morning come out well with 26, 23 and 23 plays and scores of 3.44, 3.52, 3.43 respectively. It is also worthy of note that one can see a genuine picture of balance with such numbers, and in all three cases (FoF #1 marginally Axis) they are balanced scenarios.

That tells me a lot more than does most of the 'Best' Table ratings that score high with but 5 x plays.

All that said, it depends how you rate the scenarios in the first place. This is how I rate.

1. Appalling or broken or badly written as to have too many errata points
2. Poor or plain boring
3. Standard PG fare.
4. Good scenario for many different reasons (exciting finish, well designed etc)
5. Memorable forever scenario. One I consider a classics
09-03-2012, 06:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012, 06:01 PM by Shad.)
I beg to differ.

Shad begs.

Having done that, I point out to you that our site average rating is currently a bold 3.29, or approximately three 3s for every 4 vote.

I count 9 out of 20 scenarios above that mark of mediocrity, and only one - Hunting Panthers - more than a half-point beyond it.

Thus I stand by my assertion that most of them suck. Cool

My personal rating criteria are similar to yours, for what it's worth.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-03-2012, 08:43 PM,
(09-03-2012, 06:00 PM)Shad Wrote: I beg to differ.

Shad begs.

Thus I stand by my assertion that most of them suck. Cool

My personal rating criteria are similar to yours, for what it's worth.

Then you need to play more to make assertions ! Big Grin
09-03-2012, 08:51 PM,
And for what its worth, by those ratings, I'd say about 3 of them deserve the derogatory 'suck' term.

AB 1, EF 2, FoF 3 ...... That said, there were a couple more in there I did not like.

On the other hand, the 3.44 of Autumn Mist from ER, may even be 'hiding' a cute, balanced and exciting scenario when compared with some of 'The Best' category that a 'new' player might otherwise miss ?