Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critical Logistics Shortfall-Do Ya Play On?
07-10-2020, 05:44 PM,
RE: Critical Logistics Shortfall-Do Ya Play On?
So I thought I’d give the Maoris a rest; but then I took a look at the very next scenario: A Sad Tale, #7. This one has 12 Maori platoons! Whoa, I’m there!
07-19-2020, 03:24 AM,
(07-10-2020, 01:32 AM)saracv3 Wrote: I thought of another option: if another 3 or4 is rolled, logistics is restored! This might be an incentive to play ,on with something to look forward to.

I haven't tried that optional rule yet.  While a logistics shortfall hurts a bit, and can impact the overall trajectory of the game, it is that second roll of 3 or 4 during FOW that takes you to critical Logistics shortfall.  I would suggest one of the following options to fix your problem:

1)  A roll of 14 or 15 during FOW helps reestablish supply.  Takes you from Shortfall to normal supply status, or from Critical to regular shortfall.  

2)  Stop or limited movement, meaning either.  Not sure which option would be better, but would only be realistic in longer games of 24 or more turns.  

a) Go completely over to the defense temporarily - stop all activations or pass for a period of no less than 2 turns.  Then start rolling two dice at the beginning of each turn.  If you roll the target number or less you reestablish supply completely:

Turn 2 -  roll 4 or less
         Turn 3 -  roll 5 or less 
         Turn 4 -  roll 7 or less
         Turn 5 -  roll 8 or less
         Turn 6 -  roll 10 or less
         Turn 7 -  roll 11 or less
         Turn 8 -  Resupply arrives - conduct operations normally.

b) Player may only conduct limited offensive operations - for at least 2 turns.  Focus is on defensive ops.  The  player can only activate 3 times for purposes movement, direct-fire, AT-fire, or assault (charge/overrun).  Each activation can include a leader the units in his hex, and as many additional hexes as the leaders combat modifier (i.e. no chain activations).   Activations that don't effect resupply include: recovery, digging in, limbering/unlimbering, aviation support, or indirect fire.  I include last two because they may fall under different commands, and may not have the same challenges that frontline units have in resupply - a logistics shortfall in one doesn't necessarily apply to the other.

As with option a. You could then start rolling two dice at the beginning of each turn.  If you roll the target number or less you reestablish supply completely:

Turn 2 -  roll 4 or less
         Turn 3 -  roll 5 or less 
         Turn 4 -  roll 7 or less
         Turn 5 -  roll 8 or less
saracv3 likes this post
07-19-2020, 04:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-19-2020, 04:54 PM by saracv3.)
(07-19-2020, 03:24 AM)Greyfox Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 01:32 AM)saracv3 Wrote: I thought of another option: if another 3 or4 is rolled, logistics is restored! This might be an incentive to play ,on with something to look forward to.

I haven't tried that optional rule yet.  While a logistics shortfall hurts a bit, and can impact the overall trajectory of the game, it is that second roll of 3 or 4 during FOW that takes you to critical Logistics shortfall.  I would suggest one of the following options to fix your problem:

1)  A roll of 14 or 15 during FOW helps reestablish supply.  Takes you from Shortfall to normal supply status, or from Critical to regular shortfall.  

2)  Stop or limited movement, meaning either.  Not sure which option would be better, but would only be realistic in longer games of 24 or more turns.  

a) Go completely over to the defense temporarily - stop all activations or pass for a period of no less than 2 turns.  Then start rolling two dice at the beginning of each turn.  If you roll the target number or less you reestablish supply completely:

Turn 2 -  roll 4 or less
         Turn 3 -  roll 5 or less 
         Turn 4 -  roll 7 or less
         Turn 5 -  roll 8 or less

b) Player may only conduct limited offensive operations - for at least 2 turns.  Focus is on defensive ops.  The  player can only activate 3 times for purposes movement, direct-fire, AT-fire, or assault (charge/overrun).  Each activation can include a leader the units in his hex, and as many additional hexes as the leaders combat modifier (i.e. no chain activations).   Activations that don't effect resupply include: recovery, digging in, limbering/unlimbering, aviation support, or indirect fire.  I include last two because they may fall under different commands, and may not have the same challenges that frontline units have in resupply - a logistics shortfall in one doesn't necessarily apply to the other.

As with option a. You could then start rolling two dice at the beginning of each turn.  If you roll the target number or less you reestablish supply completely:

Turn 2 -  roll 4 or less
         Turn 3 -  roll 5 or less 
         Turn 4 -  roll 7 or less
         Turn 5 -  roll 8 or less

Definitely some good ideas to ponder. I don’t know if I agree w all the numbers, but shifting strategy in along game is interesting. It is easier said than done,especially if one side sees their advantage slip away suddenly. Ouch! Huh

Your ideas make a great case for flexibility in combat.