Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critical Logistics Shortfall-Do Ya Play On?
07-10-2020, 12:38 AM,
Wink  Critical Logistics Shortfall-Do Ya Play On?
This conundrum has probably befallen all of us; but it especially difficult a decision for the solo player. It may be easier if the game is in the endgame, but if there is no one side that is clearly ahead, should one keep going?

Possibly this should almost be a poll. The problem of FOW and logistics has been discussed before. Obviously the more activations, I.e. more units and leaders in a game, the more likely logistics problems will occur if playing w the optional rules. I remember some thread on this issue, but I can’t remember any suggestions about modifications to the rule. I like the idea of the logistics problem, but it’s tough to have a sudden death situation stopping the game.

I’m faced with it right now in PoC scenario #6, The Second Day. This scenario has 107 counters.
It’s turn #9 of 20. The Germans are pretty strong compared to the Kiwis. The object is to take two major towns. It’s basically a two front game. Germans to the east and west w Kiwis behind the West front, so it’s pretty interesting. But no German force has captured one hex of town. I’m tempted to stop the attack and declare New Zealand the winner, but this type of scenario has has happened in more games that I’ve played.

Thoughts?
07-10-2020, 12:54 AM,
RE: Critical Logistics Shortfall-Do Ya Play On?
I've tried the logistics shortfall rules. We added a modifier that if a player passes, the shortfall only occurs on a 3.

We've largely abandoned the logistics rules because the devastating effect upon the side with the offensive mission. If the offensive side suffers a logistics shortfall, the game is pretty much over.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-10-2020, 01:23 AM,
Boy, you got that right, Peter! The Germans are toast. But it certainly makes sense after so many games being ruined.
07-10-2020, 01:32 AM,
I thought of another option: if another 3 or4 is rolled, logistics is restored! This might be an incentive to play ,on with something to look forward to.
07-10-2020, 01:33 AM,
I've had it happen---to my benefit.....

I would think that an offensive undertaken by a side which could get a "logistics shortfall" demonstrates a pretty severe
shortcoming on the part of quartermaster....

You don't go into battle, to attack the enemy, when you are short on supplies---unless you are absolutely desperate.....

In the case of PoC though---given how the germans dropped weapons separate from troops---may well have been a missed drop, broken parachute, etc....
so in this case---where you're dropping supplies---heck, it could happen.....

But---in an offensive situation like FitS---It'd think if you had an ammunition shortfall---you'd delay until you got supplied....
07-10-2020, 02:08 AM,
I’m gonna stop and declare NZ the winner. Even though the Germans have a very strong position in the East, the paratroopers in the West, the drop zone, really is in trouble, even with out the logistics problem. The Maoris, only 3 platoons, did what they do best,Assault!
joe_oppenheimer likes this post
07-10-2020, 02:20 AM,
Yeah, those tattoos are really scary!
joe_oppenheimer likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-10-2020, 04:33 AM,
(07-10-2020, 02:20 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Yeah, those tattoos are really scary!

What's really scary is when you're in a bar at late at night drinking with these guys....
you start talking about their Tattoos and they stand up and drop-trou to show you their tattooed legs

waggling their tongues and grunting....

What a hoot...love the All Blacks...
07-10-2020, 12:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2020, 12:55 PM by saracv3.)
They tore into Student’s elite and caused two paratrooper platoons to abandon their positions and race to save another couple of platoons that were just about to buy the farm against the Maoris. When the Maoris went adjacent to the paratroopers, I thought it was a rash move. They survived a +2 shift (-1 light wood); the face tattoos obviously acted as extra protection. The squat guys just stood there and took it as German bullets bounced off them!

The assault was a hoot w a +2 shift, potentially +3, but -1 for the light woods, the 24 column used. Nasty!
07-10-2020, 05:21 PM,
I’m usually playing with all optional rules ... but logistic shortfall is wrong. It is happening far too often and really ruins most scenarios. I feel it is better to use it only if called for by scenario special rules.