Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ Academy Update ] Changes to Scenario Self-Play Track
06-01-2020, 10:55 PM,
[ Academy Update ] Changes to Scenario Self-Play Track
(if you are on the Self Study or Mentor track none of the below applies)

Dear all current and future Vassal Academy members,

Based on user behavior over the past few months, I've changed the Scenario Self-Play track as follows:

Previous Approach
  • student must own one of the games for which legacy standalone Vassal modules exist (Demo, Airborne, Conquest, Elsenborn, or Kokoda)
  • student must submit two full scenarios from any of those games
Problems Observed
  • some people didn't own any of those games
  • some people didn't want to play (or replay) scenarios from those games
New Approach
  • upon enrolling in the Scenario Self-Play track, students will be prompted to choose one game from the list of games currently supported by the Academy
  • students will then be granted access to that game's Uber module resources in order to complete their 2 plays
  • when uploading logfiles, students must define the scenario played (this makes it easier for our moderators to keep up with reviews)
This means if you are a veteran PG player and own any of the 60-odd games we already support you will be able to play two scenarios from the game of your choice. It also maintains the play it to unlock it gateway that's a core requirement of the entire Academy.

Thank you for reading!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-19-2020, 03:00 AM,
RE: [ Academy Update ] Changes to Scenario Self-Play Track
Hello,

I'm new here and sign up for self play Vassal Academy and using Elsenborn Ridge as my base.
Where do I find my scenario?

Thanks
Ed Lewis
06-19-2020, 03:09 AM,
In your scenario book. Any 2 will do. I suggest you choose a couple with a wide variety of combat types. Some bombardment, tank fighting and assaults. The more varied the combat the more you can learn about the features in PG Uber.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-19-2020, 03:25 AM,
Thanks, That will work.

Ed Lewis
06-19-2020, 05:32 AM,
Just remember to put comments in your logfile. It helps us immensely to understand what is going on and what you are trying to do.

A cautionary note: If you have been playing your games solo before, review the rules or get ready for a laundry list if rules errors.
cjsiam likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-19-2020, 06:19 AM,
When you comment try and hit the following things:
Rolling for initiative--who rolls first/label each roll
When Firing OBA---drop them on the hex (the counters); state the factors and eventual column before you roll
When Firing State the Target (hex or unit); State who is shooting; state what column you ended up on before you roll
When Rolling for Morale or Recovery---say which unit ---or the Typical Standard is state the hex, then roll from top down (keep officers on top...common)

When you're ACTIVATING units---identify the officer (or stack) by Tagging them---get them all tagged MOVE or FIRE...
THEN start moving and resolving them....
AFTER you have resolved each---mark them ACTIVATED so you(and we) know they have completed their movement for that segment
UPDATE activation count on Turn track when you complete each Activation Segment....

It becomes very natural if you build good habits....
Smile
06-25-2020, 02:10 PM,
I have elected the scenario self play path to gaining access to VASSAL. I chose Eastern Front as my self play module. The uber module d/l went just fine. However, when I click on the d/l for the Eastern Front files it takes me here http://www.pg-hq.com/index.php with no d/l. There is also no option to d/l them all as a single zip file.
07-08-2020, 04:50 AM,
This is fixed.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...