Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assaut Board
08-14-2023, 08:19 AM,
RE: Assaut Board
I use a rectangular piece of paper about 4 inches by 2 inches, divided into attacker's side and defender's side. I move the units involved in the assault to that, and mark the assault hex on the map with a red glass bead. I often use the same piece of paper to do direct fire attacks because it is easier that way to sort out what is happening.

PG hexes are large, but so are the counters. Things can get pretty cluttered and confusing.
08-14-2023, 08:42 AM,
Peter created a series of assault boards along similar lines for those of us playing the game online in Vassal platform. Very slick and easy to use. Certainly declutters the battle maps, especially when fighting in urban settings.
goosebrown, Tambu, Tankodactyl And 6 others like this post
08-14-2023, 01:23 PM,
(08-14-2023, 08:19 AM)Tony M Wrote: I use a rectangular piece of paper about 4 inches by 2 inches, divided into attacker's side and defender's side. I move the units involved in the assault to that, and mark the assault hex on the map with a red glass bead. I often use the same piece of paper to do direct fire attacks because it is easier that way to sort out what is happening.

PG hexes are large, but so are the counters. Things can get pretty cluttered and confusing.

Someone, ages ago, on BGG made assault cards. Road to Berlin has 2 sheets (Sheet 1 & Sheet 2). Battle of the Bulge has another one. There were also some for Afrika Korps, but they don't seem to be in file list. I made some assault hex markers to put on the main board and mark the previously mentioned assault hexes. I printed the assault hexes and laminated them. That made them usable with an erasable marker.

All that of course, is if you like the dead-tree method. As Felipe said, I did make an assault map in Vassal, and it has mini-boards for noting the type of terrain you are fighting over. There is also a blank fillable board for non-standard terrain types. Try the Vassal system, cats can't knock the pieces off the map and it travels well in a backpack (on a laptop).
Tony M, Miguelibal, goosebrown And 4 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking