Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My dilemma.....
04-10-2015, 01:51 AM,
RE: My dilemma.....
(04-10-2015, 12:29 AM)larry marak Wrote: Spearhead? that was/is a promotion for the I.A. PG releases coming a Summer approaches.

The counters that I saw were yellow. Maybe I'm thinking of something else? Where can I find information on this if it is still active? I didn't see any such reference in the latest GC newsletter.
04-10-2015, 02:26 AM,
The Spearhead Division was one of the sets you got as a bonus if you early ordered Lawrence, Empires Fall, Broken Axis and Korean War: CounterAttack. This promotion ended I believe on March 31.
04-10-2015, 03:52 AM,
Yeah, if you ordered at least 3 of the 4 Larry mentions you get the Spearhead Division counters (which are indeed yellow (the counters, not the troops!)). I got them all save Lawrence so I am getting Spearhead (eventually)!
04-10-2015, 07:41 AM,
Mike is darn hard on budgets. Broken (and Lawrence) will probably start shipping beginning of June, Empires and CounterAttack would be next in line, but there's some Naval action coming soon in boxed form.
04-11-2015, 01:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2015, 01:34 AM by tlangston28.)
Here's my dilemna...

I have a very limited budget, want to get the GC Journal with the Saipan 8-3 Marines and Japanese Tanks and can only get 1 module - which is my best bet:

1. Nihon Silk
2. War on the Equator
3. Mouse That Roared
4. Waltzing Matildas

I prefer historical to alternative-historical and the only reason I am looking at Mouse That Roared is that I have Infantry Attacks and the Chihuahua Incident (G.C. Infantry Attacks download). Also, I am not as concerned with the Divisional/countersheet prints as I am not that bad with creating counters.

What do you think?
04-11-2015, 04:05 AM,
(04-11-2015, 01:33 AM)tlangston28 Wrote: Here's my dilemna...

I have a very limited budget, want to get the GC Journal with the Saipan 8-3 Marines and Japanese Tanks and can only get 1 module - which is my best bet:

1. Nihon Silk
2. War on the Equator
3. Mouse That Roared
4. Waltzing Matildas

I prefer historical to alternative-historical and the only reason I am looking at Mouse That Roared is that I have Infantry Attacks and the Chihuahua Incident (G.C. Infantry Attacks download). Also, I am not as concerned with the Divisional/countersheet prints as I am not that bad with creating counters.

What do you think?

I have a soft spot for the Dutch, so if I could only buy one, it would be Nihon Silk. That being said, I have been known to spend more than my budget allows...
04-11-2015, 04:49 AM,
As it's unlikely we will ever see another historical module with Peruvians and Ecuadorians, I'd go with War on the Equator. Or Indian Unity for the same reason if you don't own it already (Razakars ftw!).

The Dutch we will see again.
04-11-2015, 10:59 AM,
I already own Indian Unity and am currently playing through the scenarios with Wayne B. It is quite a package of scenarios, every game we have played so far as gone down to the wire and has been a great tactical exercise.

I am leaning towards War on the Equator as I, too, agree that we will probably never see the South Americans anymore. My only issue is that it is 6 scenarios rather than 10, which is kind of steep.

It looks like you and Matt played through that scenario book, Daniel - what did you and him think of it? Have you played Nihon Silk?

Thanks again for the feedback!
04-11-2015, 12:08 PM,
I really enjoyed War on the Equator but felt two of the scenarios are best best played opposed. Both sides have a reasonable chance at victory in five of the six scenarios. No two scenarios play the same, not even close.

My comment on BGG is that I've got my money's worth as I got 18-20 hours of fun playing through the scenarios.

I own the download and have been looking for a printed version for a while, preferably in a trade. I may bite the bullet and just buy it this time.

I own Nihon Silk and played two scenarios. Both were cool (I liked the innovations Jay put in) but one of them was very unbalanced in my opinion. A few of the scenarios use the boards from Kokoda Trail and I am none too fond of those.

Both are hard to find and I don't recall seeing them on eBay the past six months.
04-11-2015, 12:58 PM,
War on the Equator is a romp. Yes, it is only 6 scenarios but they are 6 very, very different scenarios and it has one of the most enjoyable odd ball scenarios (Land, Sea and Air) in the PG world. As Hugmenot mentions there are a couple that are best played with an opponent but overall there is more fun packed into those 6 scenarios than virtually anywhere else.

The only thing that looks to be similar is Conquest of Ethiopia with a more modern army facing a horde of poorly armed troops.

I would also suggest Indian Unity. It is ten scenarios and still an awful lot of fun.
No "minor" country left behind...