Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My dilemma.....
04-09-2015, 03:41 AM,
My dilemma.....
I've been rather vocal about my position regarding the laser cut counters. I was having a tough time negotiating the dollar value versus the aesthetic value of these counters. I have the old Panzer Lehr set, which I guess was the first attempt at laser cut counters. While nice, I wasn't so impressed that I was ready to run off and spend a few Benjamins on the other sets. Now I'm not so sure....

In today's mail, I received a copy of Pusan Perimeter that I picked up on eBay. It has the improved version of the laser cut counters and I was suitably WOWed!!! The counters are amazing. They look and feel awesome, so now I'm really in limbo as to what to do next.

My only disappointment was the box itself. It was the slip case version. There are two cardboard boxes, but the artwork is not on the boxes as in other sets; it is a sleeve that goes over the full set. Is this the current way forward? Are all boxed games going to arrive in this fashion?
04-09-2015, 03:55 AM,
RE: My dilemma.....
Yes, the slipcover has become the way things are done. The reprints I got of Elsenborn Ridge, Eastern Front and Road to Berlin are done that way and pretty much everything new for a while. I have mixed feelings but for the most part, like the games too much to let it be a bother to me. The naval games are going the same way, I think my Russo-Japanese War was the first one I got like that.
04-09-2015, 04:16 AM,
Yes - in fact, I got the 2nd reprint of Elsenborn Ridge back in 2012 and that came in a slip cover as well but with a horrible picture (I believe the one on the games page).

Most of my other purchases were via second hand and so I got actual printed boxes but all new releases I have received from AP has been slipcover.
04-09-2015, 04:55 AM,
The slipcover allows AVP to have standard black boxes and slip covers in its inventory. This is less inventory (and less bulky) than having an appropriate level of the boxes for each of the games in print. Far less costly too so it's a decision based on economics.

The Pusan Perimeter are gorgeous but mine were a bit slippery when stacked high. My Burning Tigers were as gorgeous (a little thinner and a different finish) but not slippery.
04-09-2015, 05:41 AM,
(04-09-2015, 04:55 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: The slipcover allows AVP to have standard black boxes and slip covers in its inventory. This is less inventory (and less bulky) than having an appropriate level of the boxes for each of the games in print. Far less costly too so it's a decision based on economics.

The Pusan Perimeter are gorgeous but mine were a bit slippery when stacked high. My Burning Tigers were as gorgeous (a little thinner and a different finish) but not slippery.

I get it. I figured it was a cost savings measure. Now if he can come up with a way to make the divisional downloads a bit easier on my wallet, I'll be thrilled!!!

Come to think of it, my second copy of Eastern Front is also in a slip cover. It is the only other title that I own that has the slip cover; all others are the printed boxes. It reminds me somewhat of the older Avalon Hill titles that had the slip case in addition to the two cardboard box halves.
04-09-2015, 09:02 AM,
I reinforce the seal of the slip cover to extend the life of it from tugs as the box leaves the shelf.

As others have said, using the black silk boxes saves space (you can order 50 or 100 at a time, rather than storing thousands of boxes) and the cost of a printed front back and side box is the most expensive single component of most board games.

The new laser-cut counters are smudge free...sometimes they might come out slightly blurred if the cardboard they are sprayed on by the printer is vibrating slightly...In the last year I've had only on corner of one counter-sheet slightly blurred, so I'm pretty satisfied.
04-09-2015, 09:32 AM,
(04-09-2015, 09:02 AM)larry marak Wrote: I reinforce the seal of the slip cover to extend the life of it from tugs as the box leaves the shelf.

As others have said, using the black silk boxes saves space (you can order 50 or 100 at a time, rather than storing thousands of boxes) and the cost of a printed front back and side box is the most expensive single component of most board games.

The new laser-cut counters are smudge free...sometimes they might come out slightly blurred if the cardboard they are sprayed on by the printer is vibrating slightly...In the last year I've had only on corner of one counter-sheet slightly blurred, so I'm pretty satisfied.

I really am impressed with the quality of the Pusan Perimeter laser cut counters. They are truly outstanding. Now it's just a matter of summoning the intestinal fortitude required to part with $225 for the divisional sets or $250 for the games that I want..... or both
04-09-2015, 10:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2015, 10:21 AM by larry marak.)
Been there, done almost all of that......:-(.

My African theatre will have both the Desert Rat Division and Ariete.

France 40 will showcase Moroccans and DeGaule's Mechmen

Just need to poney up another 110 for 1st Panzer and Moscow Rifles. :-0 !!! for Eastern Front.
04-09-2015, 10:25 AM,
(04-09-2015, 10:15 AM)larry marak Wrote: Been there, done almost all of that......:-(.

My African theatre will have both the Desert Rat Division and Ariete.

France 40 will showcase Moroccans and DeGaule's Mechmen

Just need to poney up another 110 for 1st Panzer and Moscow Rifles. :-0 !!! for Eastern Front.

That sounds awesome!!! I would love to be able to do that, but unfortunately, the Desert Rats and Moroccans are not available to me. I can only hope that they will be resurrected at some point in the future, as well as the Indian head Division. I saw that in an old post somewhere. Was that also a laser cut set or was that only a die cut set?
04-10-2015, 12:29 AM,
Spearhead? that was/is a promotion for the I.A. PG releases coming a Summer approaches.