Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AaD Shipping Thread
04-09-2015, 11:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2015, 11:55 PM by Poor Yorek.)
RE: AaD Shipping Thread
Sometimes USPS makes me want to scream:

Postal Product:
Priority Mail 2-Day™
Extra Svc:
USPS Tracking™
Up to $50 insurance included
Restrictions Apply Priority Mail Insurance info icon
DATE & TIME
STATUS OF ITEM
Departed Post Office
BIRMINGHAM, AL 35210
Your item has left our acceptance facility and is in transit to a sorting facility on April 7, 2015 at 5:38 pm in BIRMINGHAM, AL 35210.
April 7, 2015 , 9:55 am
Picked Up
BIRMINGHAM, AL 35210

Ok, so last seen 7 April, it is now 9 April for a 2-Day Priority shipment ... Arrghhghghgh. I mean, GD'43 counters on the way; the Masters on TV; and I'm stuck giving an examination. ::weeps::
Yeah, I know, First World problems.
04-10-2015, 12:28 AM,
You may be the first member to see the GD 43 counters though...

By the way, the post office has been changing its performance targets of late. First class letters now have one more day of turn over than they used to. Here at payment processing it means we get Thurs, Fri, Saturday mail delivered Monday, the few items posted Sunday on Tuesday, and then Monday's mailings on Wednesday.
04-11-2015, 02:16 AM,
I got an order shipped email. Smile
04-11-2015, 05:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2015, 06:00 AM by Poor Yorek.)
USPS 2nd 3rd day delivered.

So ...

The GD '43 counters are visually impressive. They are much like the BT thick ones: same texture and line across the reverse. The GD shield is now white with black "GD" (rather than the reverse). I guess MB was amused to include a Maus counter rather than a second Nebelwurfer or whatever.

Also received a back-ordered Desert Rats counter set. Twenty-one 2-lbrs. No transport. :-(

The maps for AoD are nicer than I was expecting from the images. There is some "scrub green" to add texture and relief to the sand and blue-grey stone/scree terrain.

Counters are punched with the "attachment" on the sides, not corners. The reverse do not have the old indented/crushed feature (they are flat), although the obverse has a bit of rounding at the edges. US olive green is a bit lighter (or more yellow-ish) than the ER/BoB versions. US leader mix is stronger than I anticipated (at least with respect to combat bonuses). The Italians have a portee 90mm AT gun (no armor value, so assume it's to be treated as a truck with -1). Germans and Italians have their traditional APL desert color
scheme.

Oh, and the box is much like the ER box (thin) compared to, say, PP or the Kursk pair.
04-12-2015, 12:27 AM,
Got my shipping notice now, and also got the GD43 counters coming. I had given up trying to figure out which counter set I qualified for at the time. So should be im Monday's mail.
04-12-2015, 02:33 AM,
PT, the technology used for the counters guarantees the nubs will be on the side. Mike said the vendor could make a true cut - no nubs at all - and bag the counters for a fee. Mike chose not to.
04-12-2015, 02:58 AM,
(04-12-2015, 02:33 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: PT, the technology used for the counters guarantees the nubs will be on the side.

I might try using a sharp knife (spyderco) to pre-cut the nubs before punching them out ... I'll practice on the French! (guillotine). I should confess that, like Jay, I am a dedicated corner clipper.

One counter errata. The SPW's are marked "SPW51" not "SPW251". They do use the cooler (to my taste) icon with the wooden benches.
04-12-2015, 05:20 AM,
(04-12-2015, 02:58 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: visually impressive

I'm curious to see samples, if folks have time, please post some images to BGG.

-Jim
"Bugs! BUGS!!!"
04-15-2015, 12:06 AM,
AaD arrived yesterday. I like the maps but the pieces seem... faded? Almost like there is a milky film on them.
04-15-2015, 12:35 AM,
On the topic of side nubs, if the counters are relatively thin, they are virtually unnoticeable, on thicker counters they are quite noticeable. With the Moroccan division countersheet they were extremely minor, with the ultra thick Liberation and Sword of Israel counters, you could use them to cut somebody. Same thickness, but more depth.