Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Craig Martin’s Got a PC!
07-30-2020, 01:52 PM,
RE: Craig Martin’s Got a PC!
Ok, so I can stick w Google. Hve Windows10. Now what? Get w you, CJ? I have 3.2.17 downloaded. I’m reading the Users Guide right now.
07-30-2020, 02:18 PM,
(07-30-2020, 01:52 PM)saracv3 Wrote: Ok, so I can stick w Google. Hve Windows10. Now what? Get w you, CJ? I have 3.2.17 downloaded. I’m reading the Users Guide right now.

happy to help you out...busy frigging week so probably be Sat/Sun --pick an hour...anytime works...

But, if you have installed the Java SDK
If you have VASSAL 3.2.17 loaded, with an Icon on the desktop and an ability to open the Module Library Panel
Then you are ready....
Go to the VASSAL Academy Data site and down load the files there...
The write ups to understand everything (you've probably read them 1000 times in anticipation already, right???)
Just down load everything in the "VASSAL MODULE MENTORING FILES"
Then with the VASSAL Module Library File command---Think you want to Import the Uber Base Module 2.5 (you just downloaded it...)
Then after that module is loaded into the VASSAL Module Library list---highlight it and "Add Extension" ---point to the Mentor and Minefields...
they load....
Double click on the Uber Module to open it....
you should see a Tiger and some German Infantry...you are ready to start a game Smile

drop a note---try it ---the learning is worth the pain....
07-30-2020, 10:19 PM,
You don't need Java SDK, just Java RE. That is the standard download. You don't rally care if it works with your browser, because you don't use it through your broweer.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-30-2020, 11:54 PM,
(07-30-2020, 10:19 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: You don't need Java SDK, just Java RE. That is the standard download. You don't rally care if it works with your browser, because you don't use it through your broweer.

I squat corrected....yes, just the Run time Environment---my bad....
07-30-2020, 11:57 PM,
I was trying to run Java Diagnosticst. I have Windows 10 as the OS. Then I have Google Chrome as the browser, all on a PC. So Diagnostis immediately senses Google and says that I can’t run all versions of Java on Google. (We’ve already been through this Android problem before.) Anyway, Diagnostis won’t even go any further to tell me if I’ve got any Java on the machine! Doh! So I load MS Edge and Java Diagnostics tells me that Java can’t be run with Edge! I’m gonna fly up to San Francisco and slap Larry Ellison up side the head!

So now I’m going with Firefox. Java states they will support Firefox. I’m not sure about VASSAL, but I’m assuming it does. Yes, I’ve got 3.2.17 loaded and I’m starting to read the How-to manual. I’m not what CJ is saying when he says “Pick up your pieces.” Don’t I need to build the PG module before I play any game?
07-31-2020, 12:24 AM,
Craig, forget Chrome, forget Edge, forget Firefox, forget Internet Explorer. Just install Java RE.
Download the Java 32-bit installer or the 64-bit installer, depending which OS version you have. The 32-bit version of Java will work on either version of windows.
After you download the installer, just run it. The installer will probably be in your download directory.

You do not need to "build" the PG Über module. You will need open the Base Module in Vassal. Make sure the module is In a directory you want to run it from. I have a sub-directory in my Vassal directory.

Once you open the module the first time, close it. Now right-click on the module entry in Vassal. At the bottom of the pop-up menu, there is an option to add extensions. Use that option to add at least one extension. Vassal will create an extension sub-directory for the base module. You can then add more extensions, either the way you added the first one, or by copying the extensions into the sub-directory using Windows Explorer.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-31-2020, 12:42 AM,
(07-30-2020, 02:18 PM)cjsiam Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 01:52 PM)saracv3 Wrote: Ok, so I can stick w Google. Hve Windows10. Now what? Get w you, CJ? I have 3.2.17 downloaded. I’m reading the Users Guide right now.

happy to help you out...busy frigging week so probably be Sat/Sun --pick an hour...anytime works...

But, if you have installed the Java SDK
If you have VASSAL 3.2.17 loaded, with an Icon on the desktop and an ability to open the Module Library Panel
Then you are ready....
Go to the VASSAL Academy Data site and down load the files there...
The write ups to understand everything (you've probably read them 1000 times in anticipation already, right???)
Just down load everything in the "VASSAL MODULE MENTORING FILES"
Then with the VASSAL Module Library File command---Think you want to Import the Uber Base Module 2.5 (you just downloaded it...)
Then after that module is loaded into the VASSAL Module Library list---highlight it and "Add Extension" ---point to the Mentor and Minefields...
they load....
Double click on the Uber Module to open it....
you should see a Tiger and some German Infantry...you are ready to start a game Smile

drop a note---try it ---the learning is worth the pain....

Well, I downloaded 3.2.17 (windows.exe) off of the VASSAL archive, but I don’t see a desktop icon. I can look again. It’s gotta be in downloads though. In fact, I imported several 3.2.17 downloads from the iPad when I synced Google Accounts. But since Java doesn’t like Google, I’m in process of loading Firefox. I have an unforeseen problem. Like many of us, I crane my neck to look at a PC screen. You and Peter know that I’ve had three neck surgeries, the last being C1-C6, very serious. I wear a soft collar full time now. In the last 24 hours I seem to have misplaced the collar. So I can only stay.on thee PC a short time before I have to take a break.

It appears, though, that Java is not on the PC. I’m going w Firefox now to see if I can get it loaded. For this reason, I want to push the meeting back to Sunday.

So you, Uberkommder Johnson, are my new mentor?

Too easy just to answer you here. Is 6-7pm good on Sunday or does fall right wi dinner? Anytime is good. I’ve fallen into a more humanoid normative schedule 6am-10pm, although I may go back to the all night thing. It’s designed to beat the heat out here. Supposed to be 122f in
alm Springs on Sunday, possibly the hottest day of all time. Record is 123f.
07-31-2020, 12:56 AM,
RE: Craig Martin’s Got a PC
(07-31-2020, 12:24 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Craig, forget Chrome, forget Edge, forget Firefox, forget Internet Explorer. Just install Java RE.
Download the Java 32-bit installer or the 64-bit installer, depending which OS version you have. The 32-bit version of Java will work on either version of windows.
After you download the installer, just run it. The installer will probably be in your download directory.

You do not need to "build" the PG Über module. You will need open the Base Module in Vassal. Make sure the module is In a directory you want to run it from. I have a sub-directory in my Vassal directory.

Once you open the module the first time, close it. Now right-click on the module entry in Vassal. At the bottom of the pop-up menu, there is an option to add extensions. Use that option to add at least one extension. Vassal will create an extension sub-directory for the base module. You can then add more extensions, either the way you added the first one, or by copying the extensions into the sub-directory using Windows Explorer.

Got it. I have Windows 10 as the OS. The computer is a HP Pavilion tower, w a 24” monitor. (just for visulazation.) I believe I have 8RAM w a 1t hard drive. So I think I am in good shape for Java and VASSAL here.
07-31-2020, 01:06 AM,
But, now to get into PGHQ on the PC. (I’m writing this on the iPad ) I think the easy solution would just to be to change my username and password. If I change my username, will that mess up my ratings on our Top 10 lists? I have to say that I enjoy pursuing “the Brass Ring.”
07-31-2020, 02:06 AM,
(07-31-2020, 01:06 AM)saracv3 Wrote: But, now to get into PGHQ on the PC. (I’m writing this on the iPad ) I think the easy solution would just to be to change my username and password. If I change my username, will that mess up my ratings on our Top 10 lists? I have to say that I enjoy pursuing “the Brass Ring.”

The easiest would be to reset your password. On your PC, go to the login page. Click on " Click here to begin the reset process... ". Create a new password. I would also suggest getting a password vault.