Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberation shipping
01-21-2014, 11:50 PM,
RE: Liberation shipping
(01-21-2014, 06:32 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Since experiencing a play with plexi-glass I invested myself in the material about 3 years ago or so. Don't ask me why, but the maps and whole aesthetics of the game feel better with the plexi ! Never again will I willingly return to naked maps LOL Take Matt out the back and shoot him !

Ah Ah next time Vince comes to Chez Baumber for a FtF. " Sorry mate my plexi-glass has been stolen by the famous plexi-glass burglar. Feel free to concede" Wink
01-22-2014, 12:11 AM,
(01-21-2014, 11:50 PM)waynebaumber Wrote:
(01-21-2014, 06:32 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Since experiencing a play with plexi-glass I invested myself in the material about 3 years ago or so. Don't ask me why, but the maps and whole aesthetics of the game feel better with the plexi ! Never again will I willingly return to naked maps LOL Take Matt out the back and shoot him !

Ah Ah next time Vince comes to Chez Baumber for a FtF. " Sorry mate my plexi-glass has been stolen by the famous plexi-glass burglar. Feel free to concede" Wink

At least you didn't get confused with my line on 'nakedness' and then intended to open the front door to me with yourself standing there stark naked Confused
01-22-2014, 12:11 AM,
(01-21-2014, 11:50 PM)waynebaumber Wrote:

Wayne - Do you think that will work on Skype? "Sorry, Vince. My dog ate my plexiglass. I win." Big Grin
01-27-2014, 12:06 AM,
I see that smoke was added as a rule in Lib 44 that will make it quite liberally used in scenarios. However, knowing the sources that were used for research Ican say there is little mention of smoke being used during the battles.

Even if we were to brsh it off as "Used but not mentioned", it can then be argued that the PG smoke is too strong in what it hides.

So, from the earliest design of the games it is fair to say that smoke was not designed into it and that if not wished to be used, or indeed used, but with restriction, there would not be an upset to the original form.

Same for hidden units.
01-27-2014, 09:21 PM,
(01-27-2014, 12:06 AM)vince hughes Wrote: I see that smoke was added as a rule in Lib 44 that will make it quite liberally used in scenarios. However, knowing the sources that were used for research Ican say there is little mention of smoke being used during the battles.

Even if we were to brsh it off as "Used but not mentioned", it can then be argued that the PG smoke is too strong in what it hides.

So, from the earliest design of the games it is fair to say that smoke was not designed into it and that if not wished to be used, or indeed used, but with restriction, there would not be an upset to the original form.

Same for hidden units.

Vince,

Have you reread the smoke rules recently. Looking at 16.11 it seems to me that using smoke is risky because on a roll of 8 or more you lose that artillery factor or on board mortar or artillery piece for that turn. So its a big decision for the player each time and perhaps not such a factor as you may think.
01-27-2014, 11:12 PM,
I re-read the smoke rules every day as a matter of course, along with my almanack of "How to be a good gentleman"

Maybe in a game with scarce mortars, on board artillery and little OBA. But in a game with lets say, 3 x mortars, 2 x on-board guns and 8 OBA modules, there is not too much to be lost by using it but lots to be gained.

The main thrust was that if the scenarios were configured without it and it was later added, then it is not a problem for those that think it too strong a weapon to discard it from the scenario. It will basically block out all LOS beyond it. Also, ad nauseum availability is not something I've read too much about in battle accounts of the period ?
01-28-2014, 02:59 AM,
(01-27-2014, 11:12 PM)vince hughes Wrote: I re-read the smoke rules every day as a matter of course, along with my almanack of "How to be a good gentleman"

Maybe in a game with scarce mortars, on board artillery and little OBA. But in a game with lets say, 3 x mortars, 2 x on-board guns and 8 OBA modules, there is not too much to be lost by using it but lots to be gained.

The main thrust was that if the scenarios were configured without it and it was later added, then it is not a problem for those that think it too strong a weapon to discard it from the scenario. It will basically block out all LOS beyond it. Also, ad nauseum availability is not something I've read too much about in battle accounts of the period ?
I agree about the "unlimited smoke" is unrealistic may I humbly suggest you read the almanack a little more carefully Wink
We have not played many scenarios with smoke so I am not sure how effective it is in PG.
01-29-2014, 12:40 AM,
(01-28-2014, 02:59 AM)waynebaumber Wrote:
(01-27-2014, 11:12 PM)vince hughes Wrote: I re-read the smoke rules every day as a matter of course, along with my almanack of "How to be a good gentleman"

I agree about the "unlimited smoke" is unrealistic may I humbly suggest you read the almanack a little more carefully Wink
We have not played many scenarios with smoke so I am not sure how effective it is in PG.

Coincidentally (or not LOL) , Vince and I are currently engaged in the 43rd Wessex Attacks (BN #21) and at the beginning of the game, I rolled successful on being able to use smoke. I will say that having not used it before, what I have found that if the situation calls for cover, it works really well with coordinating movements to get into positions and not getting obliterated. However, there is a good chance that it disperses each turn. It has helped me move into position where otherwise, my units would have been destroyed as they approached Mouen. I will detail further in the "Commission diary" once I have had a chance to give some time to it.
01-29-2014, 11:43 PM,
Hey Shad, now that you are back to PG-HQ of sorts, can you get the basics of the Liberation game posted so that data entry can begin? Smile
01-30-2014, 03:49 AM,
(01-29-2014, 11:43 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Hey Shad, now that you are back to PG-HQ of sorts, can you get the basics of the Liberation game posted so that data entry can begin? Smile

May I respectfully ask that someone finish entering the data for Edelweiss IV first? Huh
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!