Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still learning after all these years...
08-28-2013, 07:49 PM,
Still learning after all these years...
In the midst of a Vassal game with Hugmenot* I realized I had been playing a small but consequential rule wrong since I started PG:

Quote:A leader with a combat modifier can combine fire from multiple hexes AND add his modifier to the fire total.

I had always played it as OR, which has no basis in the rules. Rolleyes

Anyone else around here have one of these moments from time to time?

* - head-to-head play remains the best way to learn the rules, bar none
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-28-2013, 09:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2013, 09:05 PM by vince hughes.)
RE: Still learning after all these years...
TSK !
(you're honesty is admirable....................... If only you could have come in Sept)
08-28-2013, 09:18 PM,
Indeed, indeed. I will try again next year.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-29-2013, 03:43 AM,
I still struggle with A/Tank crossfire as Alan will testify after our last scenario
08-29-2013, 04:06 AM,
(08-29-2013, 03:43 AM)waynebaumber Wrote: I still struggle with A/Tank crossfire as Alan will testify after our last scenario

As you corrected me as well Wink
08-29-2013, 04:39 AM,
(08-28-2013, 07:49 PM)Shad Wrote: In the midst of a Vassal game with Hugmenot* I realized I had been playing a small but consequential rule wrong since I started PG:

Quote:A leader with a combat modifier can combine fire from multiple hexes AND add his modifier to the fire total.

I had always played it as OR, which has no basis in the rules. Rolleyes

Anyone else around here have one of these moments from time to time?

* - head-to-head play remains the best way to learn the rules, bar none
That's good to know now. It was only a month back that I realized that the leader combat modifier could also be used in an assault and not just direct fire. With British and Commonwealth INF units at a 4-3 rating it has changed play a lot bring the assault column up one level. I still after almost a year at PG this time around consider myself a beginner.
08-30-2013, 09:20 AM,
For three years I completely missed the HMG split fire capability.
No "minor" country left behind...
08-30-2013, 10:50 AM,
LOL, That was in a game with Hugmenot!

I like reading the every so often and always learn something new!
08-30-2013, 06:24 PM,
For seven years I have played this way: a unit that entered an assault hex with entrenchment to reinforce the defenders benefited from negative modifiers of the entrenchment. I did not know the rule 12.41
Quote:Negative column modifiers for entrenchments only benefit defending units which occupied the entrenchments before the enemy units entered the hex.

and rule 12.43
Quote:If the hex contains defending units that are entrenched AND defending units which are not, the defending player may choose to take First Fire with only the units in the fortifications (the others don't fire), OR use all his units and resolve the assault simultaneously with the attacker.
La guerra รจ bella, ma incomoda.
08-31-2013, 04:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-31-2013, 04:37 AM by vince hughes.)
Enrique,

Joe OppenH drew that to the attention of a good few on CSW about 3 years + ago or more.

Since then, I have outlined rule 12.41 in thick black pen with the word "TRENCHES" above it in thick lettering AND ALSO written "12.41" in thick pen next to the 'special rules' entrenchment section. These most definately should have been cross-referenced at time of printing.

In fact, Alan, if you are reading, consider a highlighted cross-reference in the PGHQ aAnnotated rules (it may be there but I have not checked)