Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
FEB: Brazilian Expeditionary Force
05-25-2020, 03:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-25-2020, 03:39 PM by Greyfox.)
RE: FEB: Brazilian Expeditionary Force
(05-14-2020, 11:42 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Mike,
I was thinking more of the Italian invasion of France. You know, "The hand that held the dagger.." Operation Anvil would be another worthy project. Probably fairly quick too.
Peter,

I know very little about the Italian Invasion of in June of 1940.  That should sounds like to type of really good obscure topic I love. Other good ones would be the Vichy vs Free French in Syria, the Invasion of Madagascar, and the Campaign in Norway are other potentially good topics as well.  A what if on the fight between Germany and Czechoslovakia would also be a potentially good topic.

As for Operation Anvil/Dragoon - There are a number of great things about this campaign.... Just saying.

1) Troop list is varied -
     a) Germans - Some of really good (11th Panzer) and really bad formations (a number of ost battalionen)
     b) US Army - VI Corps (3rd ID, 36th ID, 45th ID)
     c) French Army - 1st Army - 11 total divisions including three armored divisions organized and equipped along U.S. Army lines.
     d) Unusual units 
          1) 1st Special Service Force (Devils Brigade) a combined U.S. Canadian Force
          2) French Commandos
          3) French Maquis
          4) Jedburgh Commando's (OSS)
          5) ADHOC 1st Airborne Task Force - combined British/American Airborne Division which included a small Nisei Detachment.
          6) ADHOC Combat Command - U.S. Task Force Butler based on the 117th Mechanized Cavalry Squadron - a reconnaissance unit. 

2)  Types of Missions
     a) Amphibious Landings
     b) Airborne Drops
     c) Exploitation/Pursuit (at the operational level)
     d) Seizure of Towns 
     e) Escape (maintaining avenue of retreat) along one major route
     d) several pitched battles (Marseille, Toulon, and Montelimar)

3)     There are a number of good works that can be used to provide background on the campaign -- I own several of primary sources and unit histories in English (almost all American POV). 

4)  A book size treatment might be good with the inclusion of some counters, but a specialty map or two might be good.  For some of the smaller fights I think several of the maps in the inventory would work.  The high ground and the rivers around Montelmar might require a special map.  I haven't really read up to much on the battles of Toulon or Marseille.  That seems like it would be an interesting research project.

Mike

Messages In This Thread
RE: FEB: Brazilian Expeditionary Force - by Greyfox - 05-25-2020, 03:33 PM