Poll: 3rd Edition Scenario - What rules/charts to use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
3rd Edition Only
3.45%
1 3.45%
4th Edition Only
93.10%
27 93.10%
4th Edition Rules / 3rd Edition Charts
3.45%
1 3.45%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Edition Rules / 3rd Edition Scenarios
02-25-2023, 08:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2023, 08:02 AM by triangular_cube.)
RE: 4th Edition Rules / 3rd Edition Scenarios
(02-25-2023, 07:54 AM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote: I was pretty resistant to moving to 4th edition but once I did I started playing all the games using those rules and they seem to work well. The only exception I make is that for Desert Rats and Afrika Korps I treat hills as limiting terrain. I also look at any terrain specific rules in the scenario book and lean towards using those.

That is one of the more egregious examples of it. In DR and AK, playing 4th edition terrain rules will often force the defender to be the pseudo attacker as they are no longer in limiting terrain. If the attacker has range over the defender, the defender must leave their fortified lines to attack or they will just sit and die on hills that can now be spotted from distance, losing by default. With the generous turn limits, the attacker will have no issue sitting back from a safe distance of 4-5 hexes and pummeling away. Spotting range of 3 is more important that most realize with how it interacts with baseline DF range. 

Its not just balance, it turns scenarios on their heads when you fundamentally alter core rules.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4th Edition Rules / 3rd Edition Scenarios - by triangular_cube - 02-25-2023, 08:01 AM