Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the M3/75 in La Campagne de Tunisie?
07-14-2022, 01:21 PM,
RE: What is the M3/75 in La Campagne de Tunisie?
In point of fact, the army also called the M6, M10, M18 and M36 gun motor carriages. As I point out in the article, the army was raising tank destroyer battalions, but didn't have tank destroyers to train with. The vehicle that Gen. McNair and Col. Bruce envisioned was eventually the M18 GMC. The problem is, that isn't arriving until very late 1943. The M3 and M6 vehicles were only intended for training, to a large extent, so was the M10.

The M3 and M3A1 also exist as infantry support weapons. I am sure Jay will have a couple in his 1941-42 Philippines game. There were also 2 battalion in Sicily being used for infantry support. Of course there is the company on Guadalcanal. The big difference between those in support formations and those in tank destroyer battalions is their level of training. Gen. Bradley made note of the training of tank destroyer crews were. So I contend that M3/75's associated with tank destroyer units are armor efficient (I still contend it is gunnery efficiency).

So far as it appears in Army at Dawn, only scenarios 3 & 38 have M3/75's from tank destroyer battalions. The other scenarios, which mostly involve the 1st Arm Div, are suspect because an armored infantry battalion is supposed to have a M3/75 for support. I would treat the M3/75 appearances according to where they come from.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the M3/75 in La Campagne de Tunisie? - by plloyd1010 - 07-14-2022, 01:21 PM