Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 5-5 German Paratrooper MG Thoughts
05-27-2021, 03:23 PM,
RE: The 5-5 German Paratrooper MG Thoughts
(05-27-2021, 05:20 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(05-27-2021, 04:49 AM)saracv3 Wrote: ...upon review, Peter never said to change the full strength value from 9-5 to 5-5. He simply reiterated that the 5-5 reduced value is the correct value for reduced units. Scenario #34 in Crete calls for both full strength and reduced strength paratrooper MGs are listed in the OOB. It seems logical that 9-5 values are full strength and 5-5 values are reduced strength.

The 4-5 reduced strength value is seen in Dishonor before Death paratrooper HMGs. I don’t know about other games, supplements or extensions. However, Crete was released in December 2019, so it is quite recent. If 5-5 is the value of a full-strength unit, Peter’s revised counter sheet would be welcome.
I actually said reduced German HMG units should be 4-5. This is based on an apparent design philosophy, probably from Brian Kipple, as to how detrimental casualties and disorganization would be on different types of personnel units. Infantry, as in mostly rifle armed or personal weapons, had its halved strength rounded up. I presume this is because most firepower comes from the squad and platoon automatic weapons. When someone operating or supporting LMG, BAR or whatever is hit, one of the riflemen is likely to fill in. Heavier weapon units (HMG/MMG/WPN) don't have so many extra guys around. Hence I surmise that is why they were originally rounded down when reduced.

I have less concern about full strength ratings of personnel units. They seem to be mostly arranged in 3 to 8 point structure of mutual relativity, HMG/WPN units normally get about 4 more points relative to the infantry. How one feels about numbers of men and automatic weapons of a platoon, relative to other platoons of its ilk, will determine how on feels about the unreduced strength. For me, a 9-5 for a German HMG is okay.

Hooray! But you only answered half my questions. To summarize, we use the 9-5 rating for HMGs and Para. MGs. And the reduced strength rating will now be 4-5. BTW, infantry 1/2 strengths in Dishonor are rounded down. US paratroopers go from 5-3 full strength to a 2-3 half strengt. SS strengths go from 7-3 to 3-3.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 5-5 German Paratrooper MG Thoughts - by saracv3 - 05-27-2021, 03:23 PM