Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Edition Opportunity Fire
11-13-2014, 08:35 PM,
4th Edition Opportunity Fire
Troops,

I have at last started reading the 4th edition rules, there appears to be a contradiction in the opportunity fire rules and a big change.
The contradiction is that under combat rules 7.44 it states "Units with direct fire values and AFV's with Armour Efficiency may conduct two opportunity fires each turn in two different enemy activation's"
Later on in the opportunity fire rules it says you have to wait for a unit to move to another hex before firing a second time.

I take it means you can do both ie either fire twice at the same unit when moving or fire once at 1 unit and then wait for a second unit and fire for the second time.

I also note that units can now fire with DF one opportunity fire and then AT with the next or vice versa. Is this a change from 3rd Edition.
11-13-2014, 11:49 PM,
RE: 4th Edition Opportunity Fire
"I take it means you can do both ie either fire twice at the same unit when moving or fire once at 1 unit and then wait for a second unit and fire for the second time."

Is that a change? I've been playing 3rd Ed rules that way already. You get 2 opp fires and can take them whenever.

The DF and AT fire seems new.

rv
11-13-2014, 11:55 PM,
(11-13-2014, 08:35 PM)waynebaumber Wrote: Troops,

I have at last started reading the 4th edition rules, there appears to be a contradiction in the opportunity fire rules and a big change.
The contradiction is that under combat rules 7.44 it states "Units with direct fire values and AFV's with Armour Efficiency may conduct two opportunity fires each turn in two different enemy activation's"
Later on in the opportunity fire rules it says you have to wait for a unit to move to another hex before firing a second time.

I take it means you can do both ie either fire twice at the same unit when moving or fire once at 1 unit and then wait for a second unit and fire for the second time.

I also note that units can now fire with DF one opportunity fire and then AT with the next or vice versa. Is this a change from 3rd Edition.

Wayne,

The rule is meant to be the same as it always was. I think the wording, albeit unsatisfactory is merely highligting that you CAN opp fire twice AND it CAN be in two different opposing players activations (as it is in the 3rd ed).

It then continues to say that you can also do it twice at the same unit, but it has to wait to fire the second shot when the target moves to a new hex.

Basically, no change Smile
11-13-2014, 11:56 PM,
However, if a unit can fire one DF and one AT then yes, that WOULD be a change.
11-14-2014, 02:31 AM,
(11-13-2014, 11:56 PM)vince hughes Wrote: However, if a unit can fire one DF and one AT then yes, that WOULD be a change.

Once I re-read the rule I realized that it was just poor wording and there was no change from 3rd edition as to when you fire but a major change in that you can fire A/T or DF both times. Not a change I overly object to though but does mean another tactical option for the defense.