Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viking Funeral Sale
11-01-2014, 07:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-01-2014, 07:23 PM by vince hughes.)
RE: Viking Funeral Sale
Tony,

I know I'm not playing anymore, but I have to say I have played 3 x First Axis games (against Daniel and 2 x Alan) and all three have been brilliant games. Two of them right down to the wire and last turns. In fact, one of them against Alan to the last dice roll. I'd recommend it. If like me, you like supplements that use many other games, First Axis is it using EFD, RtB, FR, WE and probably more too.

As for Desert Rats, weird thing about that set is that it always rates higher than AK on PGHQ but gets played about half as much by all on the site ??? Go figure that one out. But for the cost they are selling it at, you might as well buy especially if you need the pieces. Again, I've only played a few from it but they have been superior overall as a group than AK.

What's $30, about £20 quid ? I couldn't even put half a tank of petrol in our small car for that amount !
11-01-2014, 11:08 PM,
Tony,

Let me second that. I have played all of First Axis and have found it to be an enjoyable ride.
No "minor" country left behind...
11-02-2014, 03:24 AM,
I was looking at First Axis as well. And maybe Edelweiss, Go for Broke and a 2nd copy of Arctic Front if I can convince my friend to keep my copy he's looking at. Hmmm, I hadn't thought of a 2nd copy of Desert Rats. That's a good idea.
11-02-2014, 04:59 AM,
A second copy of Afrika Korps would be my recommendation. You'll need Aussies to play Kokoda Trail, and you'll want to if you ask me.

Just my 2¢. YMMV and all that.
11-02-2014, 12:19 PM,
(11-01-2014, 08:06 AM)tlangston28 Wrote: I am actually thinking of First Axis as I don't have that one and a second copy of Desert Rats only because of the requirement for 2 copies to play certain scenarios. both copies would come in at just under $30 + shipping with gc discount.

hmmmmmm......

How many scenarios need a 2nd copy to play? I flipped though the book and I can't find it mentioned anywhere. Are they DR scenarios or ones from supplements?
11-02-2014, 01:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2014, 01:52 PM by rerathbun.)
(11-02-2014, 12:19 PM)richvalle Wrote: How many scenarios need a 2nd copy to play? I flipped though the book and I can't find it mentioned anywhere. Are they DR scenarios or ones from supplements?

Three Desert Rats scenarios require the extra counters:
10 Bir el Gubi
11 Gabr Saleh
47 Khamsin

They have notes on the PG-HQ scenario pages and notes in the scenario book (look for "Note" in the text box around the scenario name, intro and map layout).

Bir el Gubi can be played with counters from Afrika Korps.
Khamsin can be played with counters from Afrika Korps and Beyond Normandy.
Gabr Saleh requires two sets of Desert Rats (the only game with the early-war British Stuart)
11-02-2014, 02:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2014, 02:44 PM by rerathbun.)
One added note: If you own Waltzing Matilda, you can use Australian Honeys as the extra Stuarts in Gabr Saleh (and use Australian Grants for the extra Grants in Khamsin).
11-03-2014, 02:23 AM,
So I ended up going with First Axis and Infantry Attacks. I did not go with DR or AK as I do believe that there is a larger secondary market for those and since I don't play regularly (about once every 3 months on average), the chance that I will play one of those scenarios is small.

IA seemed like a no-brainer at this point since some of those maps are used in the supplements I have/ will receive (Workers & Peasants, Edelweiss and the soon-to-receive Power of the East). Plus, this will give me an opportunity to try the IA rules without resorting to "building" my Chihuahua Incident (GC download game)! Tongue
11-03-2014, 05:42 AM,
Thanks rerathbun. I see where you are talking about in the DR book now.

Since I have AK and BN there doesn't seem to be a great need for a 2nd copy of DR. I also have An Army at Dawn coming some day which might be able to fill some gaps.

Tony I like that IA idea. Maybe I'll get it too and we can add it to the list of games we'll play at some point. Smile

rv
11-03-2014, 08:59 AM,
Totally none Viking Funeral related, but, as a kind of completist, is there any reason I'd want to get Heroes of the Soviet Union? I own EF deluxe, and Red Warriors already.