Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tank Riders
10-25-2014, 08:15 AM,
Tank Riders
I am preparing to play a Workers and Peasants scenario and was looking at my force mix and noticed that I can have tank riders (Yes I have not played with Tank Riders yet). My assumption is that Tank Riders and the tank itself count as 1 unit so I could have 3 tanks, carrying 1 SMG each and a leader (on one of the tanks) in the same hex and that would satisfy the 3 unit limit in a hex. It doesn't explicitly say this in the scenario rules and when I look in the 4th edition, it does say that tank riders suffer all the limitations and penalties of 5.6 and 5.65.

5.6 states, among other things, that "... Once loaded, the transport unit and everything it carries count as one unit for stacking, movement and combat purposes....".

Not that it is a great idea to stack that way but I was just looking for clarification.

With this in mind, am I assuming correctly?
10-25-2014, 08:20 AM,
RE: Tank Riders
DOH - I found the answer myself using the search - Blush

(07-08-2012, 08:09 PM)Shad Wrote: Great job, Vince.

One note that you forgot...

(07-08-2012, 07:12 PM)vince hughes Wrote: 5. NOTE * You have the stacking completely wrong Pippers. You can only have 3 x Combat units (a mix of infantry and tanks for example) plus 3 x transports (hanomags, brens and M3's are useful here Smile. But motorcycles are infantry in most game terms except their movement is wheeled.(Motorised). You can not have 3 AFV's plus 3 Infantry in the same hex.

Certain games allow "tank riders" - foot platoon which can use AFVs just as they would transports. Then you could have 3 x tank + 3 x INF in a hex, but in the event of combat the 3 x INF would not be able to fire (they're busy holding on for dear life) and would have to unload before participating in the firefight... at which point the 3 combat unit stacking rules would immediately apply.

The front of your game's scenario book will tell you if tank riders are allowed and for whom in the Special Rules section.
10-25-2014, 09:13 AM,
You would have to worry about overstacking too once they bail. I think one unit shifts to another hex.
10-25-2014, 12:13 PM,
The LNL World at War system got around that by allowing the passengers to unload in an adjacent hex.
10-25-2014, 01:19 PM,
Well, it's worse then I thought. If there are 3 tanks + riders and one is forced to unload then everyone is marked Dis and the opposing player gets to move units out of the stack to adjacent hexes until stacking limits are met.
10-25-2014, 08:39 PM,
Well, ....under third edition rules there would be many dead units