Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solo play?
10-19-2014, 06:54 AM,
Solo play?
Is there a resource that contains a good/great set of guidelines/rules for playing solo? I am an ASL player looking to play this game, but would LOVE to get some solo play in if at all possible.
Oh and I am a newb here.
Thanks
Curt Schilling
10-19-2014, 09:05 AM,
RE: Solo play?
The initiative system and the alternating activations tend to support solo play very well. There are a number of scenarios with hidden units which can be off putting initially but there are also several ways to play with the hidden units that have been suggested (and some which are located in the 4th edition's optional rules.

I would strongly encourage you to start with infantry forces to get the feel of the leaders then adding armor as you become more comfortable with the basic systems. Most of us have played the system heavily solo and find it to be a relatively easy system to work in as a solo player.

I took a look at your collection and would think that Elsenborn Ridge is probably one of the best of the games to start with. Enjoy, and come back to the forum often with questions about rules, tactics what have you. Welcome!
No "minor" country left behind...
10-19-2014, 10:22 AM,
Someone else here asked for a member of these boards to come up with the Defenders init setup. Not only did they give a setup but basic defensive plan as well. Seems like a fun way to do it.
10-19-2014, 12:54 PM,
(10-19-2014, 10:22 AM)richvalle Wrote: Someone else here asked for a member of these boards to come up with the Defenders init setup. Not only did they give a setup but basic defensive plan as well. Seems like a fun way to do it.

That's cool
10-19-2014, 01:37 PM,
(10-19-2014, 12:54 PM)gehrig38 Wrote:
(10-19-2014, 10:22 AM)richvalle Wrote: Someone else here asked for a member of these boards to come up with the Defenders init setup. Not only did they give a setup but basic defensive plan as well. Seems like a fun way to do it.

That's cool

Yeah, I was one of them asking for a set up. Since there is a lot of pre-plotted arty in my scenario, I felt getting input on the defender's set-up would help mitigate accidental bias. and Paul provided me a good set-up with mission orders for my Japs to follow. I have yet to play, but plan to soon.
10-19-2014, 11:34 PM,
(10-19-2014, 01:37 PM)armyduck95 Wrote: ... and Paul provided me a good set-up with mission orders for my Japs to follow.
Wrong apostle there Ducky. Rolleyes
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-20-2014, 01:46 AM,
Personally, I have a hard time playing PG solo for some reason. At least for the smaller stuff I've tried. In a weird way it moves too fast and I bounce back and forth quickly and just kind of get lost on what turn it is. Maybe if I did something bigger and force a pause between action segments.

I love playing face to face and the usually small action segments work VERY well by email. Except sometimes you do one and you want more. Smile
10-20-2014, 07:23 AM,
You do have to maintain discipline. For larger scenarios using the moved/fired markers can be necessary to remind yourself of what has happened in each turn. Also some kind of records chart helps.
No "minor" country left behind...
10-20-2014, 09:31 AM,
That or turning counters 60 degrees (i.e. one hexiside) to indicate their activation is finished.

I like Enrique's system of placing minefield counters in likely set up locations for hidden units (place at least double the counter's on the board as units to be hidden), designate 3 as a real unit, and scramble before placing on the board. Roll a die to determine which off board display unit is now on board. Not perfect, but works pretty well if you aren't counting on hidden units to be spotters.
10-20-2014, 02:43 PM,
(10-19-2014, 11:34 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(10-19-2014, 01:37 PM)armyduck95 Wrote: ... and Paul provided me a good set-up with mission orders for my Japs to follow.
Wrong apostle there Ducky. Rolleyes

Angel sorry St. PeterWink