Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loved by one's enemies or feared by one's friends?
10-16-2014, 03:59 AM,
Loved by one's enemies or feared by one's friends?
An odd bit of trivia that appeared on a game show a week or 2 ago. Is this really what Wayne & Vince think of us? The rational is interesting to listen to. It makes an interesting corollary to John Keenan's assessment of us.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-16-2014, 04:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-16-2014, 04:37 AM by vince hughes.)
RE: Loved by one's enemies or feared by one's friends?
I'm surprised Napoleon didn't top that by some Margin. I would then have given George 2nd spot.
10-16-2014, 04:49 AM,
I think why Washington got the most votes, and Michael Collins had a good showing, is because they won. That is to say they mostly figured out how not to lose, then let Britain defeat herself. I was surprised that Ataturk made it on the list. He was certainly a competent commander, but hardly a great enemy.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-16-2014, 06:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-16-2014, 06:53 AM by vince hughes.)
Ataturk will be known due to the heavy exposure of WW1 on the media right now. My surprise at Washington is because I can't see the masses HERE knowing him, where as they'd have a better knowledge of Napoleon. The AWI is not really one of the Wars that the general populace knows much about here. I guess because it is hugely less important to us than was Napoleon.
10-16-2014, 07:11 AM,
The polling was done through NAM. I expect they might have a different outlook than most of your countrymen. I recall a discussion with Nigel Twine over on BGG about something like little known people having huge circumstantial impacts. I put Jane McCrea out for consideration. I then had to generally explain the revolution to him, outside of the taxation issue.
10-16-2014, 07:21 AM,
Peter,

I know the polling was by The Nat. Army Museum, but I wasn't sure whom NAM actually polled? It says a Nationwide poll but there are only 60 odd votes which is ridiculously low.

That all said, I'd have still said Napoleon. :-)
10-16-2014, 07:28 AM,
I think the national polling only created the short list. It looks like the final poll was done by academics. Anyway, I just put it up because I thought it was amusing.
10-16-2014, 07:50 AM,
It certainly is amusing in the true sense of the word. It was my surprise at the result that amused me. And quite a convincing result too.
10-16-2014, 06:00 PM,
I am sure if it was a vote from the general public, Rommel or Napoleon would be the first two generals people would think of.

My top four

1. Napoleon
2. Yamashito
3. Rommel
4. Washington

My reasoning Napoleon was a great general and was an impeccable enemy of England.
Yamashito inflicted our greatest defeat in a single campaign.
Rommel was a great general respected by both sides
Washington won his war which none of the others did although not a "great" general he was far better than his opponents.
10-17-2014, 03:53 AM,
Joan of Arc!