Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printed versions of seven old downloads
10-11-2014, 12:19 PM,
Printed versions of seven old downloads
Mike is offering printed versions of seven of the old downloads, for October 2014:

Downloads Revival

Spiral-bound books and laser-cut counters.

PG games are:

Waltzing Matilda
Power of the East
Grossdeutschland 1946

And one IA game:

To Hell with Spain
"Bugs! BUGS!!!"
10-14-2014, 12:47 AM,
RE: Printed versions of seven old downloads
I've ordered them all. Now this could prove interesting, if only 2 or 3 guys purchase GD46 (esoteric topic, a-historical counters) I could end up with an incredibly collectible wargame. I'm sure that everyone who has ever enjoyed a Pacific theatre PG game will order Power and Matilda. Power especially should do well as 1. the theatre is much in demand 2. its less expensive, only one half countersheet, and 3. It'll end its life as a much sought after rara avis, like Townsend's Nipon Silk.
10-14-2014, 01:10 AM,
4. Its about a real campaign
10-14-2014, 01:52 AM,
Absolutely right Vince. Though most Australians believed that had New Guinea fallen (which was sovreign Australian territory at the time) Australia would be next. Of course Panzern im Perth was included as a joke scenario, similar to the Wehrmact invasion of Vichy Tahiti scenario, Panzers in Pardise, which was included in Chaosium's PanzerPranks board game many decades ago.
10-14-2014, 04:37 AM,
The timing of this limited time sale is just bizarre to me. Closing of the pre-orders of two PG and two IA boxes followed immediately with the opening of a limited time sale of another 4 items to the same customer base.

It's cool stuff but I passed.

The GWAS and SWWAS supplements made more sense to me as these products do not compete with as many new pre-orders.
10-14-2014, 07:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-14-2014, 07:17 AM by larry marak.)
But of course, also made available for early pre-order
was a new GWAS and a new SWWAS product. And the next "Year of" stable of boxed games will be Blue Water titles from several of the 5!!! naval series, Great War at Sea, Second Great War at Sea, Second World War at Sea, the Long War, and of course, the multivolume Ironclads series, which is closing in on production, once Dr. B. successfully imprisions Jim Stear.
10-14-2014, 07:57 AM,
I only saw one new GWAS (HSF) for pre-order, Larry. So if a GC naval series lover was to pre-order it and the three limited sale supplements, he or she would pay roughly $121.

If a PG/IA lover were to pre-order the 4 limited sale supplements, he or she would pay $165. And that's after paying $264 to pre-order the 2 IA and 2 PG games last month.

Not the same thing.
10-14-2014, 02:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-15-2014, 03:07 AM by armyduck95.)
Well, I scooped up the IA and PZ downloads when they were on their way out, and I always regretted not getting the printed version of War on the Equator. But I did buy Nihon Silk, Indian Unity, Polish Steel, etc. hard copies. I do regret never picking up the Mouse that roared (hard or soft copy)

Now with this new offer, while intrigued to get them, it really compelled me to make the decision about actually MAKING the counters for those same games I had already purchased. Turns out I make pretty good quality counters from the my downloads. So I might as well hold onto my $ and divert it for the PZ/IA games I haven't committed to yet (Army at dawn, Ethiopia, Broken Axis, Korea II, Lawrence, etc...)
10-15-2014, 12:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-15-2014, 12:54 AM by larry marak.)
The year of Blue Water (my term, not yet trademarked by Mike) series of boxed games hasn't been announced yet. At this point we just have High Seas Fleet and the download reprints publicly announced, and 2 new naval books announced in GC, and 2 ADDITIONAL sets of download reprints (announced today). Coming shortly into pre-order status but not yet announced even to gold club are at least 2 if not 3 boxed naval sets (the next "year of" series).

Ordering everything currently available for early order from gold club members should cost in the neighborhood of $460. (and that doesn't include the new version of Winter Fury, a non PG non-Naval game).

With sales finally going up, and production costs finally stabilizing, and (I guess) printers line of credit becoming easier to access Avalanche is on fire.
10-15-2014, 02:03 AM,
As much as I enjoy these games, my hobby cash is limited and is committed on the first of each month for things I planned for much of the previous month. As much as I would love to get some of these games, the timing makes it impossible for me. I'm not sure if a Gold Club heads-up a few weeks before the sale would help or not, but it wouldn't hurt anyway. Surely I'm not the only one who loves both board and miniatures gaming.