Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Japanese Set-up for Alaska's War #7
10-04-2014, 04:31 PM,
Need Japanese Set-up for Alaska's War #7
I have been slowly solo playing through Alaska's War. For Scenario #7 I am looking for someone to provide me a set-up for the Japanese. Not looking for a face to face, just wanted to have someone else do the Japanese "hidden" set-up so as to not prejudice my U.S. choices.
I have already selected the American course of action and pre-plotted my artillery. We'll see how good my plan lines up with your set up.
The Japanese leader draw is:
Captain (0-9-0), Lieutenants (0-10-0, 0-9-0, 1-9-0, 0-9-1)

I'll accept whoever gives me the set-up first. Thanks for your help!
10-05-2014, 03:54 AM,
RE: Need Japanese Set-up for Alaska's War #7
Well Eric, which edition of the rules are you playing? Do you want to know just know what the Americans can see when they see it? Or did you just what everything revealed at the beginning? I can go either way, but which way. and the rules edition, make a difference in how I would setup.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-05-2014, 10:42 AM,
Thanks plloyd. I will continue to play this under 3rd edition. Just reveal everything to me at the beginning. I've established the U.S. plan and pre-plotted fires and I will only modify as needed it when contact occurs. I just did not want either side's initial plan to be influenced by actually knowing. I think I am a "realistic" solo player and play out the rules and responses logically. Smile
10-05-2014, 11:48 AM,
Ok I'll have something tomorrow.

I'm used to playing double-blind. That usually makes a progressive revelation of both sides. Something like that could make the approach of the Americans rather interesting.

BtW, the name is Peter.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-05-2014, 12:26 PM,
Peter, thanks. I love playing double blind. I did quite a few using hamete. Currently, I do not have the ability to put a map up for the long haul without my 6 year old getting curious Smile
10-05-2014, 12:32 PM,
What is your double-blind system. Is it anything like the Double-Blind system that I created? I had a lot of help. It works very well with Vassal
10-05-2014, 04:07 PM,
Oh, Yes, of course... you're THAT Peter Smile Yes, the double blind system I used is yours. Thank you very much. I used it for 4 scenarios. It is a reasonably realistic system. I enjoyed it. Every time I played using it the defender won, pretty decisively, so it made me start to wonder if there is a bias that upsets the play balance too much by removing the situational awareness that a normal scenario creates. Regardless, I enjoy playing double blinds and I like your rules.
10-06-2014, 02:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014, 02:43 AM by plloyd1010.)
For the setup (everyone is dug):
0928: LT(9-0-0, SER, INF
1028: SER
1523: LT(10-0-0), 2x INF
1622: LT((9-1-0), 2x INF
1623: CPT(10-0-0), 2x HMG
1624: LT(9-0-1), INF
1722: 81mm Mtr
Notes on the setup:
  • The units in 0928 & 1028 should sit tight, then move on the airfield about turn 34-35, unless spotted earlier. If spotted early, they will retreat east/southeast, avoiding engagement until the main body is spotted.
  • The main force waits until the Americans are on the airfield. Should the Americans approach the hill from a different angle, adjust the line accordingly about turn 12, and dig in again. Use the INF in1624 to reinforce the heaviest melee.
The general objective is to have someone able to fire on the airfield, as I think trying to block a corridor would only result in defeat in detail. Still it will be a tall order as the Americans are making a near 3-1 attack.

Odd that the attacker did so badly in your double-blind game. We had a little of that in our first couple games too. Once we slowed the advance a little, and developed effective scouting tactics, the games went back in line with what would be more expected.