Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Ed. First New Rule Found
09-30-2014, 07:28 PM,
4th Ed. First New Rule Found
I've begun the rather laborious task of having to read through the 4th edition rules. I say laborious as I and a good few others mentioned so many times to APL or its Reps to have some kind of designation to show either a new rule or a revised rule and thus save Grognards reading the whole tome. MB has written on CSW or the GC that this is something he will apply in later print versions. I'd have read them all by then so ........

Anyway, back to the subject in hand. Having reached page 3, I came across my first rule change.

I see now that as well as 3 combat units and 3 transports such as lorries, it is now allowable to also stack 3 APC's. This would make 9 units PLUS all that they may be transporting. I have a vision of a 27 counter stack as 9 vehicles carry 9 units and 9 leaders. Gawd save us if we then have a moved fired, disrupted and demoralised units amongst them LOL.

Its a strange anomaly though in that APC's are hybrid combat units stroke transports. So I can't remember why we were allowing them to treble stack with 3 x CU's and 3 x Trucks.

The rule has been given the obligatory highlighter pen mark and it will be onwards and upwards. My plan is to get all rules highlighted in this first copy of the 4th ed I have and then in the next copy I receive in my next box-set, to use different highlight colours for new rules accepted, new rules rejected, revisions accepted and revisions rejected.
09-30-2014, 10:51 PM,
RE: 4th Ed. First New Rule Found
Hi Vince.

Are you talking about the 'Armored Personnel Carrier (APC) section?

I kind of see what you are saying but it does say "for a total of 9 units in the hex". I think it's 3 transports (truck, apc or other), 3 things carried and 3 non transported units.
09-30-2014, 11:35 PM,
Vince,

I read it the same way as richvalle.
No "minor" country left behind...
09-30-2014, 11:55 PM,
Oh yes, it does mean that, so I am glad I posted it ? My initial read mis-read that one !

Its always that "and/or" bit that throws me. I saw it as "3 x APC and/or 3 x other transports" seeing it as above and beyond the APC's.

I better concentrate more in the next reading session !
10-01-2014, 06:24 AM,
I have a cunning plan, I will wait for Herr Hughes to read the 4th edition rules and as he post his comments about the new ones I will then highlight my edition thus saving me a lot of bother. Smile
10-01-2014, 02:25 PM,
Getting quite a few pages in, 6 or 7 now and nothing new so far. Or if there was it has been so subtle as to slip by me. These could be dangerous little loop-holes that Comrade Baumbervitch might catch me on in future plays sometime !! (Must ingest - must ingest)
10-02-2014, 03:30 AM,
(10-01-2014, 02:25 PM)vince hughes Wrote: Getting quite a few pages in, 6 or 7 now and nothing new so far. Or if there was it has been so subtle as to slip by me. These could be dangerous little loop-holes that Comrade Baumbervitch might catch me on in future plays sometime !! (Must ingest - must ingest)

Pay particularly close attention to the friendly fire rule. I don't remember exactly where it is but there was a change I believe that the FF attack is resolved normally.

Again - don't have the book in front of me but that was one of the ones that stuck out.
10-02-2014, 04:04 AM,
Yes, friendly fire can be very brutal in version 4. The decision to bombard a town hex with a strong (30+) factor when you have troops adjacent to the town hex is not an easy decision anymore.
10-02-2014, 05:02 AM,
(10-02-2014, 04:04 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Yes, friendly fire can be very brutal in version 4. The decision to bombard a town hex with a strong (30+) factor when you have troops adjacent to the town hex is not an easy decision anymore.

Good !

I think the 4th ed read through and a few other ideas may get me much nearer the sweet spot between 3rd, 4th and House. All of it will take a decent few scenaros to work through, but I'll/We'll get there Wink
10-02-2014, 07:49 AM,
Friendly fire was slightly more devastating than my having a Kommissar in the last two scenarios.

It's a pretty sad day when the Italians need to kill 20 steps and my Kommissar and artillery managed to kill 7 steps of friendlies in addition to a number a disruption and demoralization. I am still shocked my Kommissar did not run out of ammo.