Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your favorite scenario book
09-19-2014, 03:54 PM,
RE: Your favorite scenario book
(09-19-2014, 10:26 AM)richvalle Wrote: I have very limited exposure to the supplements so far. I just received part of my Gold Club order so I have more but haven't played them yet. So far I really liked Fronte Russo just from the historical nitch it covers. Even though the one battle I've done in it I lost badly as the Italians (75-35 needing to be within 10 points to keep it a minor victory).

Fronte Russo is a very good supplement as is Op Saturn. Having met Ottavio in London and also received some of his pre-game design work in the past, I can confirm the detail he goes into to develop his own work. The couple from FR I have played have both been very exciting games.
09-19-2014, 03:59 PM,
Matt,

Player designed scenarios are of course something that should flow next. Perhaps by individual gamers doing the 'odd one or two scenarios here and there, it would add up to a 10 or 20 scenario set in itself. I'd love to design a scenario or two but not a whole book or box like Jay and Mike manage to do.

If it became a popular 'hobby' I have no doubt that Shad could add a new section within PGHQ of player designed scenarios.
09-20-2014, 01:04 AM,
Not one real favorite but several, Fall of France, Kursk South Flank and West Wall are among my most played scenario books, there are some scenario books I have barley touched but look good such as Fronte Russo and Iron Wolves.
09-20-2014, 02:17 AM,
Once the "barley" you have touched ferments into a fine beer, you'll more opinions about Fronte Russo and Iron Wolves.
09-20-2014, 02:51 AM,
I like Spanish Blue for the unusual units and situations. I also really like Romanian Soil (enough that I preordered the boxed Romanian game).

It sounds like I need to get Fronte Russo.
09-20-2014, 03:06 AM,
Joe,

You won't be sorry if you get Fronte Russo. The scenarios are developed quite well, are reasonably balanced and the setups are meticulous. I played Ring of Fire (#41) and found that, if you followed the setup instructions that there was a real "front line" as opposed to the series of strong points I usually setup when given free reign (i.e. set up west of the north south road). Be sure to get the extra 6 scenarios from the web site (42-47, unless they have included them within the booklet now).
No "minor" country left behind...
09-20-2014, 03:22 AM,
(09-20-2014, 03:06 AM)Matt W Wrote: Joe,

You won't be sorry if you get Fronte Russo. The scenarios are developed quite well, are reasonably balanced and the setups are meticulous. I played Ring of Fire (#41) and found that, if you followed the setup instructions that there was a real "front line" as opposed to the series of strong points I usually setup when given free reign (i.e. set up west of the north south road). Be sure to get the extra 6 scenarios from the web site (42-47, unless they have included them within the booklet now).

Thanks for the info about 42-47. I just received the Fronte Russo book and it does not include those.

For others here is the link: http://www.avalanchepress.com/gameFronteRusso.php
09-20-2014, 03:42 AM,
(09-20-2014, 02:17 AM)larry marak Wrote: Once the "barley" you have touched ferments into a fine beer, you'll more opinions about Fronte Russo and Iron Wolves.

Dam a Yank picking me up on my English. Good spot Larry. :Blush

Spelling has always been a weak point, a read through my AAR's will confirm this.
09-20-2014, 05:34 AM,
Wayne,

You also listed favourite box-sets rather than books xxx
09-20-2014, 06:25 AM,
Wow, with the scenario books/boxes I now have there are 717 battle options I can choose from (at least once I get An Army at Dawn...). Though I don't have the maps to play all of them the biggest hole being my not having a copy of Elsenborn Ridge.