Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counter Quality
11-26-2014, 02:35 AM,
RE: Counter Quality
(11-26-2014, 02:13 AM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote:
(11-26-2014, 02:01 AM)larry marak Wrote: ... GMT, which is co-owner to the rights to publish ASL along with Critical Hit, couldn't afford to purchase the rights to Up Front.

You sure about that? I've never heard anything about GMT owning part of the rights to ASL.

I dropped out of ASL a couple of years back. Up to that point I had heard NOTHING about Critical Hit having any stake in the game. God forbid, the net would would have gone bonkers, I'm sure. Is this something new or is it something that I hadn't known all along?
11-26-2014, 03:06 AM,
I suspect Larry's just confused. My understanding is that MMP owns ASL these days. Critical Hit puts out stuff that is ASL compatible but not technically ASL. And I don't think GMT has anything to do with ASL.
11-26-2014, 03:21 AM,
I agree with this, Crital Hit! does ATS

(11-26-2014, 03:06 AM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote: I suspect Larry's just confused. My understanding is that MMP owns ASL these days. Critical Hit puts out stuff that is ASL compatible but not technically ASL. And I don't think GMT has anything to do with ASL.
11-26-2014, 03:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2014, 03:37 AM by larry marak.)
Absolutely right, I was bonkers (don't get to be 64) MMP bought the rights to reprint the old Avalon Hill ASL material, as well as issue new material for the system from Hasbro Toys, HOWEVER before Avalon Hill went down Critical Hit bought the rights to do "official" ASL material without Avalon's editorial imput. There was a considerable lawsuit for a while after MMP bought it's right's from Hasbro, which ended in the courts ruling that Critical Hit's ASL license from Avalon Hill was still valid. During the time that the case was in the courts Critical labeled their products as for "squad's and leaders" and created the Combat/ATS engine in case they lost the case. Critical Hit's ASL material's are now marketed as ASL comp to distinguish them from MMP's ASL products and they have issued materials bringing ASL into the 1960's, as well as a "broken" expansion into the American Civil War era.
11-26-2014, 05:20 AM,
Larry, are you just regurgitating Mark Pittcavage's opinion of the ASL ACW game or is your opinion is based on something else?

From my perspective, the Pittman is just another asshole who thinks his opinion trumps everyone else's, regardless of whether he has played a game or even read its rules.

YMMV.
11-26-2014, 05:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2014, 06:19 AM by larry marak.)
The designer of the ASL ACW system has repeatedly said he thinks the developer's "broke" the combat system. I have no experience with it and hope that the WWI and ACW ASL eventually prove to be good. If it doesn't work in ASL it won't work in ATS, which is my second tactical game system. Is "Major Mark" the designer Mark Pittcavage?

By the way, waaaaay at the back of the development list of to-do's for PG is the ACW version, which we have all been able to view a version of here on this site a couple of years ago.
11-26-2014, 06:30 AM,
Thanks for the ASL/CH update guys. It's much appreciated.
11-26-2014, 10:48 AM,
(09-17-2014, 07:40 AM)vince hughes Wrote: PG-HQ's original part-dream was meant to be a place where people could talk candidly about APL products for better or for worse without either being censored on CSW by APL or being swamped by fan-boy thumbs-up.

I certainly hope this is still the case, else we should all pack up our shit and go home. PG-HQ is 100% for the players, long-suffering we be. The Library was preceded by a BoardGameGeek Geeklist I created in order to sort out all the product inter-requirements since the boxbacks and AP website store were absolutely, positively wrong on almost every item. Then we added the forum because AP censors the hell out of their CSW area and BGG's approach divides the PG family into approximately 9,001 different locations ... both approaches stifle all meaningful discussion.

So yes, Vince, by all means keep telling it like it is. I'd be right there with you if I had bothered to purchase anything in 2014 but for various reasons beyond the scope of this thread I haven't...
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-26-2014, 10:51 AM,
Very Well Spoken!!!

(11-26-2014, 10:48 AM)Shad Wrote:
(09-17-2014, 07:40 AM)vince hughes Wrote: PG-HQ's original part-dream was meant to be a place where people could talk candidly about APL products for better or for worse without either being censored on CSW by APL or being swamped by fan-boy thumbs-up.

I certainly hope this is still the case, else we should all pack up our shit and go home. PG-HQ is 100% for the players, long-suffering we be. The Library was preceded by a BoardGameGeek Geeklist I created in order to sort out all the product inter-requirements since the boxbacks and AP website store were absolutely, positively wrong on almost every item. Then we added the forum because AP censors the hell out of their CSW area and BGG's approach divides the PG family into approximately 9,001 different locations ... both approaches stifle all meaningful discussion.

So yes, Vince, by all means keep telling it like it is. I'd be right there with you if I had bothered to purchase anything in 2014 but for various reasons beyond the scope of this thread I haven't...
11-26-2014, 02:37 PM,

Shad, you probably have money well saved Wink