Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counter Quality
09-23-2014, 04:51 AM,
RE: Counter Quality
That's the appearance and my hope, Jay.

Hopefully AVP is able to find two or three volunteers for PG and maybe one or two additional volunteer to help James Stear.

It's cool to let a new Vassal module out, even if it's just for one scenario.
10-12-2014, 06:49 AM,
Well despite the months of discussion of the good and bad of recent counters, its telling to see that when the opportunity comes back to use good old die-cut counters, APL takes that option. Its a good decision and will mean better quality components IMO.

Now to get the maps sorted into one definite art style !
10-12-2014, 08:40 AM,
I agree, I was glad too see the decision overall. I mean I liked the quality when they got it right. But yesterday I finally made my War of the Equator counters with paper, card board and glue stick and laminate and I must admit - it turned out a "9" on my rating scale,
11-25-2014, 04:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2014, 04:59 PM by nicky_longbranch.)
Wow, This is exactly what I have been thinking for awhile now. It's not so much that mistakes are made, everyone can deal with a bad countersheet, AP's problem and it always has been, their customer service. I have had issues with countersheets (Extremely bad scorching on South Flank, could not wipe it off)and preorders, and have written about a dozen emails, they were never responded to ever. I became a gold member thinking this would help and wanting the little bonus goodies, but to no avail, they just don't do customer service, it is mind numbing. The game is phenomenal and some very cool things have been made for it throughout the years. This site being perhaps the coolest after the game itself. It is a shame that Mike cannot even get the basics mastered, but I will continue to buy the games, although never again from AP directly, I don't mind spending a little extra cash to support the game company by purchasing retail from them, but I will not be treated like garbage after spending hundreds of dollars. The PG community is strong and whenever AP gets me down, I come here, look around, get thrilled, and it all seems okay, Thanks Vince, you made my month!

(09-17-2014, 07:40 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Guys, I'm gonna be seriously carmudgeonly here ... BUT

These threads are simply becoming appalling apologentsia fpr latest APL products and that's all that can be said. I can not see how in the 1970's, that game after game that I bought had counters etc that were all the same as any other no-neck wargamer that bought them and yet we cannot do that 40 years later. What have we come to when an 80-100 dollar game is being given a 'pass' because SOME of its counters are OK. Is this serious critique ?

PG-HQ's original part-dream was meant to be a place where people could talk candidly about APL products for better or for worse without either being censored on CSW by APL or being swamped by fan-boy thumbs-up. That being said, then this huge variation of counter printing is absolutely appalling and quite frankly they should be sent back to the company and replaced with PROPER useable and acceptable counters. This hit & miss acceptance is nothing short of a wargames industry disgrace.(to put in a World perspective :-) )

My only games remaining are the ones I ordered last year before this lottery and unless I can open a box in a dealers premises and check the contents, then I won't be buying anything further.

Finally, before anybody 'poo-poos' this post, I have added up the sum of orders here in the UK that are not going through on the new batch of offers and it comes to $1600 of non-UK orders from the group of people I emailed........ That might be an incentive to sort the counter printing out. I'm sure there are more $$$$$ not forthcoming elsewhere.
11-26-2014, 12:05 AM,
For whatever reason AP seems to have stopped responding to email support. But if you post over on consimworld (http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?8@@.ee6fed8) they usually respond within 24 hours. Of course as I write this someone has a post out there that hasn't been responded to yet.
11-26-2014, 12:57 AM,
Except they'll replace them, good luck getting mike to do anything.

(09-13-2014, 12:00 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: If the quality of the counters bother you, you may not want to order games from White Dog Games, Schultze Games, Paul Koenig Games, and Victory Point Games either.

The first three companies use the same counter manufacturer as APL while VPG made the laser-cut counters for APL when APL first went laser-cut.
11-26-2014, 01:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2014, 01:01 AM by nicky_longbranch.)
Tried Consim awhile ago, it's okay, I made my peace, I'm done running around wasting my time writing a company I give lots of money to only to be ignored and told by other less discerning customers to try this or try that, I'd rather just wait until they go under and buy more PG once GMT makes it.

(11-26-2014, 12:05 AM)richvalle Wrote: For whatever reason AP seems to have stopped responding to email support. But if you post over on consimworld (http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?8@@.ee6fed8) they usually respond within 24 hours. Of course as I write this someone has a post out there that hasn't been responded to yet.
11-26-2014, 02:01 AM,
nicky, the problem is nobody has deep pockets anymore. GMT, which is co-owner to the rights to publish ASL along with Critical Hit, couldn't afford to purchase the rights to Up Front.
11-26-2014, 02:10 AM,
maybe they just didn't want it, seems like after the kickstarter the money was def there, maybe the designer was a hold out.

(11-26-2014, 02:01 AM)larry marak Wrote: nicky, the problem is nobody has deep pockets anymore. GMT, which is co-owner to the rights to publish ASL along with Critical Hit, couldn't afford to purchase the rights to Up Front.
11-26-2014, 02:13 AM,
(11-26-2014, 02:01 AM)larry marak Wrote: ... GMT, which is co-owner to the rights to publish ASL along with Critical Hit, couldn't afford to purchase the rights to Up Front.

You sure about that? I've never heard anything about GMT owning part of the rights to ASL.