Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counter Quality
12-01-2014, 08:56 AM,
RE: Counter Quality
(12-01-2014, 08:27 AM)richvalle Wrote: Heh, thanks for this question. I'm playing this battle now and totally missed that I get a plane. Even though we're in turn 11 I'm asking if he can arrive late.
Hmmm. Seems limited to turn 2...
12-01-2014, 09:13 AM,
(12-01-2014, 08:23 AM)leonard Wrote:
(12-01-2014, 03:37 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Whilst you are here, a designer question for you. In many FoF scenarios with aircraft, why is the side with the aircraft given AA guns but the other does not? Reference #21 Red Dusk as an example.
Errr... Usually, the OOB of my scenarios are the closest to the historical action that I can design. Now, I haven't checked out my original Gembloux scenarios versions but it is certain that Moroccans had 20mm AA guns at hand (and 75mm AA SP guns a bit farther to the west). These same guns also appear in scenario n°18 - the Iron Line: south- where German aircrafts are offensive. In Gembloux, most AA guns (88s and SK6/2) were used for ground combat.
The lone general comment I can make is that French AA guns were rather rare while German aircrafts were numerous and also that French aircraft interventions were rare.

Yes, just find it odd that the side that has planes has the AA guns too. Both sides the same issue. Did not know if this was by design or a odd coincidence. Seems like the later.
12-01-2014, 12:10 PM,
(12-01-2014, 08:56 AM)leonard Wrote:
(12-01-2014, 08:27 AM)richvalle Wrote: Heh, thanks for this question. I'm playing this battle now and totally missed that I get a plane. Even though we're in turn 11 I'm asking if he can arrive late.
Hmmm. Seems limited to turn 2...

Yeah, but we're nice to each other. I'd let him do it. Smile

Honestly in 3rd Ed rules air attacks seem pretty useless from what I've seen unless you get some with tank busting abilities. I'm thinking the French are not going to have a lot of that.
12-01-2014, 05:21 PM,
Alan and I are about to start this scenario and I am the French and like you I think a French win is unlikely. I doubt that the sole French A/C will make that much difference. However I have my excuses already as Alan won't let me use my Moroccan counters which are ESC so therefore slightly stronger. Alan obviously hates me. Big Grin

To be fair we are Skyping and Alan does not have the Moroccan counters so we will play the scenario as printed which is how it should be.
12-01-2014, 11:07 PM,
(12-01-2014, 12:10 PM)richvalle Wrote: Honestly in 3rd Ed rules air attacks seem pretty useless from what I've seen unless you get some with tank busting abilities. I'm thinking the French are not going to have a lot of that.
Well, go on and use 4th Ed rules !
12-01-2014, 11:10 PM,
(12-01-2014, 05:21 PM)waynebaumber Wrote: Alan and I are about to start this scenario and I am the French and like you I think a French win is unlikely.
I've checked my original scenario ("red dusk"). The victory conditions were :

Victory Conditions : The French wins at the end of the game if he controls 3 town hexes more than at the beginning.

If it can help...
12-02-2014, 12:12 AM,
(12-01-2014, 11:10 PM)leonard Wrote:
(12-01-2014, 05:21 PM)waynebaumber Wrote: Alan and I are about to start this scenario and I am the French and like you I think a French win is unlikely.

Victory Conditions : The French wins at the end of the game if he controls 3 town hexes more than at the beginning.

If it can help...

Oh, that would change things.

My opponent doesn't want to move away from 3rd Ed rules. I'm ok with playing either.

Spoiler

[My German player just moved up and jumped into my town hexes and is just sitting there forcing me to try and assault him out with weaker units and weaker leaders while he gets the -2 for defending in a town. No way I can get that many lucky die rolls and force him out of every hex without losing too many troops.
12-02-2014, 01:56 AM,
(12-01-2014, 11:10 PM)leonard Wrote:

If it can help...

Well that is interesting, this would have a different feel with these VC's. It would change the German and I believe the French setup as well. The fight would be more of a town fight rather than an "eviction" fight as it is in the rules.