• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conflict of Heroes
06-30-2012, 03:47 AM,
Conflict of Heroes
This is another interesting series.

I own:

*Storm of Steel 1943

*Price of Honour 1939

*Guadulcanal 1942 (Pre-ordered this one) so still waiting on it.

I don't own Awakening Bear but I have the correction counters for it that came with Price of Honour supplement and I own the Marsh boards.

An interesting third series for me, behind PG and Nations at War.
06-30-2012, 05:40 AM,
RE: Conflict of Heroes
If you like Conflict of Heroes, you may want to look at the PC implementation made by Slitherine; it was well reviewed.

http://www.slitherine.com/games/coh_pc

I have Field of Glory from Slitherine and it's a great game to play against my 8 year old boy as the handicap system allows me to go all out but at a very distinct disadvantage.
07-01-2012, 10:54 PM,
(06-30-2012, 05:40 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: If you like Conflict of Heroes, you may want to look at the PC implementation made by Slitherine; it was well reviewed.

I have Field of Glory from Slitherine and it's a great game to play against my 8 year old boy as the handicap system allows me to go all out but at a very distinct disadvantage.

I really dig Conflict of Heroes. I feel like it does a solid job being a modern squad leader. I own ATS for my deep tactical WW2 game, but conflict of heroes does a great job at remaining accessible without feeling like it sacrificed a ton.
07-03-2012, 12:23 AM,
(07-01-2012, 10:54 PM)awdougherty Wrote:
(06-30-2012, 05:40 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: If you like Conflict of Heroes, you may want to look at the PC implementation made by Slitherine; it was well reviewed.

I really dig Conflict of Heroes. I feel like it does a solid job being a modern squad leader. I own ATS for my deep tactical WW2 game, but conflict of heroes does a great job at remaining accessible without feeling like it sacrificed a ton.

While many have the opinion that COH is "lite", I believe that COH is "less detailed" than many systems while still simulating (as well as any game can) the tactical battlefield in an historical manner. The single most important (in my opinion) aspect of tactical war gaming is command & control. In my opinion, neither ATS nor ASL comes close to matching COH's command and control mechanics (with AP's, CP's , and cards). I enjoyed playing ATS and ASL. I've given them both up when I found COH. I've reduced COH counters to 1/2" in order to play COH on ATS/ASL maps.
The scenario conversion process can be problematical however.
07-03-2012, 12:29 AM,
Welcome back, Keystone. Been awhile! Wink

Have you ever played Soldiers by West End Games?

[Image: pic214263_md.jpg]

I'm curious to hear a comparison between it and CoH, as I think both have an action points system?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-03-2012, 01:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2012, 01:41 AM by KEYSTONE07950.)
(07-03-2012, 12:29 AM)Shad Wrote: Welcome back, Keystone. Been awhile! Wink

Have you ever played Soldiers by West End Games?

[Image: pic214263_md.jpg]

I'm curious to hear a comparison between it and CoH, as I think both have an action points system?

Thank you for the welcome back.

I've not played Soldiers, but I am a big fan of Mr. Butterfield's designs. I remember reading on Consimworld that he may be involved with COH game Fire & Ice (battle of the bulge).
07-03-2012, 02:13 AM,
Anybody have experience or opinions on Band of Brothers. Jay mentioned it in passing, so I'd be interested to hear anything for or against the game that people here have ?
07-03-2012, 07:39 AM,
Are you sure you didn't mean Lock 'n' Load's Band of Heroes?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-03-2012, 08:08 AM,
(07-03-2012, 07:39 AM)Shad Wrote: Are you sure you didn't mean Lock 'n' Load's Band of Heroes?

Im sure.

I meant Worthington Games Band of Brothers... but perhaps Jay said Band of Heroes.... Getting messy now what with Conflict of Heroes.

Anybody played Band of Brothers ?
07-03-2012, 08:25 AM,
(Worthington Games Band of Brothers) Vince, I didn't like the way it played Solo or the format of the rules or the charts and sold my copy after one play. But everyone is different in their tastes.