Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IA/PG/PGM should be a shared data-bank!
08-17-2014, 10:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 11:19 AM by JayTownsend.)
IA/PG/PGM should be a shared data-bank!
I know we took a poll on this already but:

I changed my mind; I think IA/PG/PGM: (Infantry Attacks, Panzer Grenadier, Panzer Grenadier Modern) should all share the same data bank. I mean, the counters, maps and scenario format are the same, only the rules are a bit different but nothing that would be noticed on AAR recording or data/ information lookups.
08-18-2014, 12:25 PM,
RE: IA/PG/PGM should be a shared data-bank!
(08-17-2014, 10:56 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: I know we took a poll on this already but:

I changed my mind; I think IA/PG/PGM: (Infantry Attacks, Panzer Grenadier, Panzer Grenadier Modern) should all share the same data bank. I mean, the counters, maps and scenario format are the same, only the rules are a bit different but nothing that would be noticed on AAR recording or data/ information lookups.

Sorry old boy totally disagree, they are different games, different wars and I see no justification for them sharing databases. No issue with them on the site but should be kept separate.
08-19-2014, 01:08 AM,
But why? Data look up is the same and out of convenience, it would be nice to have them all in the same place. But hey, just my opinion.
09-15-2014, 11:15 PM,
Jay, I'm with you that they should be in one database. IA/PG/PG:M may be technically separate game systems but they share a common base. And their difference show the evolution of warfare at this scale in the 20th Century. To me, bringing them together strengthens the history aspect of the game. It is also more convenient to have one database to serve the whole and thus more people will use the IA and PG:M portions. Build it and they will come.

Sorry for being a bit late to this party as other gaming adventure kept me away from PG lately. I was one who asked for this. I'm surprised there is not more discussion. Don't let that sway you, I do think people will, at the end of the day, appreciate the coming together of all three in this wonderful database and site you have created.
09-16-2014, 03:38 AM,
I have to think that, in the end, it is more important for IA and PG:M to have a place to "be" than it is to have separate databases. I am happy either which way it works. I just want it to be in place!
No "minor" country left behind...
09-16-2014, 03:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2014, 03:47 AM by vince hughes.)
Perhaps it would be easier to have them all added to the one database anyway ?

That way everything is viewable from the same 'clicks'.
09-16-2014, 05:14 AM,
(09-16-2014, 03:47 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Perhaps it would be easier to have them all added to the one database anyway ?

That way everything is viewable from the same 'clicks'.

Technically speaking, the location of the data would not affect the "viewable from the same clicks" feature, as Shad would probably attest. The data could be held in a separate database and still be viewable on the same site, it is just that it would be work to get it going (whichever way it goes).

If it was put in the same database, additional fields and tables would probably need to be added to at least identify which "era" game-system the game would represent, as well as the different fields that would have to cover those data pieces that do not exist in PG WWII. In a separate database, it could be built to suit the requirements of the game system and still be combined with the existing database through queries combining the common data built into the website pages (which would probably need to be new pages). I don't know how MySQL would handle these types of queries but I know it could work.
10-09-2014, 11:29 PM,
I'm honestly not sure about the IA and PGM games but would like to see the Korean War stuff added in, anyway. It's not modern, uses the standard (or new standard) 4th edition rules, and falls only a short time after several of the other post-WW2/Cold War/alternative war games already on the list.
10-10-2014, 01:01 AM,
Jay's Korean magnum opus (great work, not Opie's ice cream bar) is part of the PG series and will be entered into the db eventually, as the monks entering the data continue to scribble away.
10-10-2014, 01:14 AM,
Sorry... off topic... Is that process open to anyone that has a new game? I don't have these games but I hope (hope!) to get An Army at Dawn soon and I was thinking I could help enter in data here.