Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leader combat bonus and armor
08-05-2014, 03:12 AM,
Leader combat bonus and armor
I think I saw this mentioned in passing by Vince a little while ago but I can't find it and not sure it was 100% what I wanted to know anyway.

If I have a stack of 3 tank units and a +1 combat leader and the stack activates can the leader pull in another hex to combine direct fire even though it's all tanks? What if the 2nd hex is also all tanks? Or if it's one Inf and 2 tanks? Can he pull in all 3 or only the inf?

If the stack with the leader is 3 inf can he pull in a hex that is all or part afvs?

Thanks,

rv
08-05-2014, 03:27 AM,
RE: Leader combat bonus and armor
No, leaders may only activate and direct their own type of unit. To combine tank fire from 2 hexes gets complicated. You need a regular leader (with modifier) and an infantry (or other non-tank DF unit) and a tank with a tank leader in the first hex. The you need a an infantry (or other non-tank DF unit) and a tank in the second hex. The tanks then combine their DF factors with the infantry (units of the same fire type in a hex may always combine), who then combine with the leader.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-05-2014, 03:48 AM,
(08-05-2014, 03:27 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: No, leaders may only activate and direct their own type of unit. To combine tank fire from 2 hexes gets complicated. You need a regular leader (with modifier) and an infantry (or other non-tank DF unit) and a tank with a tank leader in the first hex. The you need a an infantry (or other non-tank DF unit) and a tank in the second hex. The tanks then combine their DF factors with the infantry (units of the same fire type in a hex may always combine), who then combine with the leader.

But can the tanks in the 2nd hex combine? A tank leader doesn't have a combat bonus so can't combine more then one hex and I'm unsure if the +1 inf leader can combine with tanks in the 2nd hex.

So I guess the best you could do is 1 inf with a +2 combat bonus and 2 tanks in one hex and then 2 stacks of 3 inf next to them in 2 hexes all combine?
08-05-2014, 04:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2014, 04:02 AM by campsawyer.)
(08-05-2014, 03:48 AM)richvalle Wrote:
(08-05-2014, 03:27 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: No, leaders may only activate and direct their own type of unit. To combine tank fire from 2 hexes gets complicated. You need a regular leader (with modifier) and an infantry (or other non-tank DF unit) and a tank with a tank leader in the first hex. The you need a an infantry (or other non-tank DF unit) and a tank in the second hex. The tanks then combine their DF factors with the infantry (units of the same fire type in a hex may always combine), who then combine with the leader.

But can the tanks in the 2nd hex combine? A tank leader doesn't have a combat bonus so can't combine more then one hex and I'm unsure if the +1 inf leader can combine with tanks in the 2nd hex.

So I guess the best you could do is 1 inf with a +2 combat bonus and 2 tanks in one hex and then 2 stacks of 3 inf next to them in 2 hexes all combine?

You are correct, tanks in adjacent hexes cannot combine fire, only tanks in a single stack can.
08-05-2014, 04:45 AM,
(08-05-2014, 03:48 AM)richvalle Wrote: But can the tanks in the 2nd hex combine? A tank leader doesn't have a combat bonus so can't combine more then one hex and I'm unsure if the +1 inf leader can combine with tanks in the 2nd hex.

No. There are 2 issues. First, tanks cannot directly combine fire. Second, Regular Leaders may not activate (or otherwise command) tanks.

Since one unit may always combine with another [activated] unit in the same hex, you need to work through infantry/gun units. So you need something like this: Hex 1) leader x-1-x, infantry, tank w/leader; Hex 2) infantry, tank. Hex 1 activates, reg leader activates infantry in hex 2, tank leader activates tank in hex 2. Tank in hex 1 combines with infantry in hex 1. Tank in hex 2 combines with infantry in hex 2. Reg leader combines both infantry/tank fire teams.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-05-2014, 06:02 AM,
Peter,

The second hex is not activating as a stack. each unit is activating. the inf can combined but the tank cannot combined wirh the other tank.
08-05-2014, 06:40 AM,
I believe I said that. Each type unit needs to be activated by its own leader type. Those activated in the same segment and in the same hex may then combine. That is why it gets complicated.
08-05-2014, 06:44 AM,
But the tank leader cannot combined and the secod hex did not activate as a stack.
08-05-2014, 06:59 AM,
I see what Peter is saying and it does make some sense. The Inf leader activates the inf in the adjacent hex and the tank leader activates the tanks both with Fire orders. They can combine fire as they are both DF and the +1 leader and direct the fire from that hex.
08-05-2014, 11:24 AM,
(08-05-2014, 06:59 AM)richvalle Wrote: I see what Peter is saying and it does make some sense. The Inf leader activates the inf in the adjacent hex and the tank leader activates the tanks both with Fire orders. They can combine fire as they are both DF and the +1 leader and direct the fire from that hex.

Rule 3.33 and 6.41 are clear on this. 6.41 second paragragh Units in different hexes may not combine their fire values into one attack without the aid of a leader. Then 3.33 Similarly, Regular leaders can't activate or direct AFVs (except APCs) or tank leaders, but any AFVs and Tank Leaders stacked in the regular leader's hex can activate simultaneously with him if the stack self-activates.

The Regular leader cannot affect the tank in the other hex. The second tank can be activated but cannot participate in the larger firegroup in the two hexes.