Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stack Assault Movement
08-02-2014, 12:31 AM,
Stack Assault Movement
I'm going through the Infantry Attacks rules today and reading the assault movement rules, it seems to me that nothing, as written, allows you to move a stack of units into an assault. The movement rules are explicit that movement is done "ONE AT A TIME" but the assault rules only say "units" may move into an assault.

Now I understand that an assault is a "fire" activation and that units can combine to fire. So is it the combining to fire rule that allows one to combine units for the assault? Or is there there something else? Or is it really supposed to be that units must assault on unit at time into and assault hex (which would make assaults really tough to do)?
08-02-2014, 01:20 AM,
RE: Stack Assault Movement
Yes, technically all units move individually. We often move as stacks as a matter of convenience, mostly when out of range or into an assault hex.

Assaults take place after all units have moved into the assault hex, but which units are moving into that hex need to be declared before any of them move. (Just move the stack & forget about it.)
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-02-2014, 02:04 AM,
Thanks, I got two slightly different answers over in the PG and IA folders on CSW. It does make a difference though with cavalry coming into play when they make the two hex charge. I think what always trips me up is: "Assault must be resolved immediately when active units enter a hex." But later in the rule (12.2) it says "Resolve the assault after all active units which are to enter the assault hex this action segment have finished entering the hex." (This, BTW is in 12.4 in IA)

So then, you can have units from two hexes activate and go into the assault hex before resolving it, right?
08-02-2014, 02:41 AM,
Yes, as long as both hexes were activated in the same activation.
No "minor" country left behind...
08-02-2014, 02:45 AM,
(08-02-2014, 02:41 AM)Matt W Wrote: Yes, as long as both hexes were activated in the same activation.

Cool.