Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The PG Cold War Hypothetical Series!
08-01-2014, 02:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 03:04 AM by JayTownsend.)

Kind of interest as it includes:

• Iron Curtain
• Secret Weapons
• Patton’s Nightmare
• Hammer & Sickle
• Polish Steel 1948
• Iron Curtain: Red & White

I always like these kinds of supplement/games to play, the, what could have been situations. Not to play all the time but to take a break from historical gaming once in a while. One problem I seen with Patton’s Nightmare, is it is missing the modern Soviet units from Hammer & Sickle and the same can be said of Hammer & Sickle, which is missing the modern USA units from Patton’s Nightmare. So the only way to battle the two against each other is to play Iron Curtain which is now offered in the back of the Hammer & Sickle book.

So Iron Curtain has good Cold War matchups of both WWII and modern armor 1946-1950 and is also included in the back of the Hammer & Sickle scenario book minus one scenario.

Secret Weapons is really nice as it offers to matchup most of the equipment from Iron Curtain/Patton’s Nightmare/Hammer & Sickle but also adds New British & German armor and weapons that might have arrive early or played out in and extended WWII time period.

Patton’s Nightmare matches up USA modern equipment: 1946-1950 vs Soviet WWII equipment.

Hammer & Sickle matches up Soviet modern equipment: 1946-1950 vs USA WWII equipment. But also includes Iron Curtain scenarios in the back of the book minus one.

Polish Steel 1948 offers modern supplied Allied equipment to the Polish units. Some unit types from Iron Curtain/Patton’s Nightmare, Secret Weapons and late model captured German equipment supply the Polish Army against Soviet Weapons from Iron Curtain/Hammer & Sickle.

I guess Iron Curtain: Red & White will be an updated book version of Polish Steel 1948 but with more scenarios and in a book instead of a combiner. It should be interesting.

With all the said, they are all a lot of fun to play and escape from reality for a while. Maybe * Dak ’44 and * Waltzing Matilda can be thrown in this group as well but they are more hypothetical WWII material than Cold War.

Good Stuff!
08-01-2014, 03:58 AM,
RE: The PG Cold War Hypothetical Series!
I would add GD '46. It's not a cold war battle but the equipment et al fits.
No "minor" country left behind...
08-01-2014, 05:30 AM,
Sure Matt. I don't own that one was it just a download offering?
08-01-2014, 05:58 AM,
(08-01-2014, 02:52 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: Patton’s Nightmare matches up USA modern equipment: 1946-1950 vs Soviet WWII equipment.

Hammer & Sickle matches up Soviet modern equipment: 1946-1950 vs USA WWII equipment.

So we need either "Nightmare Hammer" or "Patton's Sickle" to match "modern" US equipment vs. "modern" Stalinist equipment?

One sounds like D&D and the other a slasher flick.

And, Jay, still waiting for PG: Godzilla 2014!
08-01-2014, 06:31 AM,
Yes, GD '46 was a download and include Panther II's and Tiger III's as well as a ton of helicopters, new APCs and a Sturm platoon. A lot of fun toys.
08-01-2014, 07:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 07:11 AM by larry marak.)
I suspect GD 46 and Dak 44 will remain in Valhalla. They lend themselves to the "what if the Axis would have been more successful genre" and Mike and a whole lot of other people see the further murder of millions more "untermench" as a consequence of this survival.

On the other hand, a world war that BEGAN five years earlier, or five years later, presents new frontiers in gaming.
08-01-2014, 09:16 AM,
PY, I have not played it Hammer & Sickle yet but several scenarios look very interesting if large, bloody battles is your cup of tea.

It is mine and I will definitely play a few someday.
08-11-2015, 02:59 PM,
I ordered both Secret Weapons and the Soviet-US modules. I remember playing a game with AK armed Soviets once. It was a walkover if I remember right.
I've never been a fan of Soviet heavy tanks. I think Germany had the best heavies from the Tiger onwards. Yeah they would have been eclipsed in a few years, but for the time, they were great.

Are there any print games with the GD Division? I like the idea of playing a higher valued Heer force.
08-11-2015, 11:52 PM,
Broken Axis almost certainly will encompass the GD as the earlier download trilogy covering the same period (Army Group South Ukraine, Panzer Lion and Romanian Soil) had quite a number of scenarios using the GD and 24th Panzer.
08-12-2015, 12:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2015, 02:21 AM by larry marak. Edit Reason: pure ego )
Para, if you were enquiring about the GD 46 units, they were only available during the now closed promotion where you could order print editions of previously download only supplements.

By the way, the East German Police force mini-supplement in the latest Gold Club journal constitutes an additional title to the Cold War hypothetical series.

in his murky, anethesia-dimmed consciousness, Great Cthulhu (I mean Townsend) may be mulling over 1953 era forces being commited to the cold war in Europe.

That way we'd get some British involved on the North German Plain (though, Secret weapons Brits are available already!)