Poll: What do you qualify as a good status marker?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Simple wording
23.44%
15 23.44%
Stylized wording for period
1.56%
1 1.56%
No background
3.13%
2 3.13%
Nice picture depicting the status/indicator
10.94%
7 10.94%
Color coded per side
23.44%
15 23.44%
No color just Black and White
0%
0 0%
Multifunction counter - uses both sides of the counter
34.38%
22 34.38%
Multi-function counter - Rotate counter for different status
3.13%
2 3.13%
Total 64 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Status Markers
07-22-2014, 02:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-22-2014, 02:45 AM by campsawyer.)
Status Markers
Seems to be a bit of discussion going on about the new status markers, so I though it possibly a good time for a poll. What do you qualify as a good status marker? You will be able to select multiple selections on the poll as well, so really tell us what you like.
07-22-2014, 03:02 AM,
RE: Status Markers
I voted color code per side. To qualify, I think simple pictures are good to0, as opposed to nice picture. Pictures are OK so long as they don't make the counter look busy.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-22-2014, 03:46 AM,
Multi-function (using both sides), Color coded with simple wording.

The current disrupted/demoralized counters are perfect for seeing at a glance what the status is - a classic that never should have been changed.
07-22-2014, 10:28 AM,
Edge on color gets my vote too.
07-25-2014, 09:54 PM,
seems to be quite obvious what people like/prefer.
07-25-2014, 11:52 PM,
The Multi-function counter - Rotate counter for different status would be interesting/useful when playing solitaire but I suspect it would drive me nuts when playing face-to-face.
07-30-2014, 01:53 AM,
Whilst not asserting that the old-style markers might not be improved, I think they were wholly adequate: visually simple and readily recognizable and distinctive at a glance. I (and Vince - if not others) regularly used the BoB "blue" or "cool-colored" markers to delineate sides as red-team (red M/F and DIS) and blue-team (blue/violet M/F and DIS). Since the DEM only come in black, I simply placed them upside down for one side. Additionally, the lighter brown and darker brown "dug-ins" and ENTs were nice to have for those few scenarios where each side had ENTs (in AK for example) or where both sides might have units dug-in either at start or in-situ.

I would wish that 4th Ed markers sheets come in red/blue team variants - at least for M/F DEM/DIS - and return to a far less "busy" presentation.

PS After an armor-heavy scenario. having a mix of the orange (red) and blue "wrecks" left on the board after the other counters are removed is pretty neat. The battle has moved on, but the wreckage remains ... telling its own story.
07-30-2014, 02:01 AM,
Post a picture next time! I would be curious to see.
07-30-2014, 07:09 AM,
PY,

Thanks, glad I added to your enjoyment in a very simple way. For me, once I had enough of the two sets, Wayne and I started using them to ID each sides counters immediately. Worked a treat right off the bat.
07-30-2014, 07:21 AM,
(07-30-2014, 07:09 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Thanks, glad I added to your enjoyment in a very simple way. For me, once I had enough of the two sets, Wayne and I started using them to ID each sides counters immediately. Worked a treat right off the bat.

Vince: I am still quite appreciative for your gift. As you say, a simple but effective addition to game enjoyment!

I'm really interested in finding out whether anyone at my Uni does research in visual recognition or cognitive theory. Love to bring in counter sets as the basis for some experiments. I know the military has for years developed and used tests on color/shape recognition. Anyway, just thought it might be interesting to put the counters to the test of experimentation.

Hugmenot: I had to laugh. My first thought when I read your post about taking a picture (presumably of the wreck markers) was to wonder whether I even have a digital camera (no smart phone)! Luddites Rule!