Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Posted on CSW thoughts please.
07-21-2014, 12:38 AM,
Posted on CSW thoughts please.
Peter Mc wrote on the PG series thread in message #27561:

"I'm working my way through the new rules and Burning Tigers tonight...laptop in the gameroom. Another apparent change I've noticed is that infantry AT fire, in the new general rule, activates on a 4-6 initial roll. In most of the games where it's a special rule, it activated only on a 5-6. I assume (I guess) the general rule isn't retroactive.

Another change within this rule (11.5 4th ed) is that you have to choose between AT fire and assault, whereas in the special rules (see Liberation for example) you get to do both (assuming you roll 5-6 first)."

I wrote in message #27536:

"My understanding from discussion on PGHQ when the rules were being developed is the Infantry AT fire rule is a global rule now. However there is the thing I have seen in prior game specific scenario books that if a game specific scenario rule contradicted the main rules the game specific rule took precedence. Yet again I would reference the third paragraph of section 1 of the rules. I have not received my BT yet so this is from the pdf that was on the APL site some time ago. In part...

"A number of rules concerning play and terrain previously published only in games as special rules are standardized here. If there is a conflict between these rules and those found in previously published games, these rules take precedence. However, if a scenario rule in question changes a basic rule to better simulate the unit capabilities or scenario conditions, then it should be played as written. For example, light and heavy woods are defined here, and supersede those published in games like ElsEnborn ridgE. Another example is the M18 Hellcat that is allowed in some games to move and fire in the same turn."

That 'However...' in there raises a huge question in my mind. Who determines this in a scenario? If I'm the defender facing a large amount of armor and it's a game like in "Liberation" where I can both assault and make the AT role I'm definitely going to want to keep the rule in BN. On the other side I'm going to want to do it the 4th ed way.