Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over-reaching?
07-22-2014, 05:12 AM,
RE: Over-reaching?
Larry, if you acquisition budget ends with your retirement, you may want to pre-order (and pay for) yet unannounced titles before they even become an idea in some designer's mind.
07-26-2014, 02:37 AM,
Notice that the decision to drop Guadalcanal from inventory not only eliminates support for Jungle Fighting and Kokoda trail, but also Waltzing Matilda, Power of the East, Nipon Silk, and Alaska's War. I'd have to exactly compare the inventory of IJA and SNFL units between Guadalcanal and Saipan, but its another example of the PG line becoming so extensive the company can no longer completely support it. In their (reduced) warehouse space, they have to make room for 5 additional PG titles and 2 additional I.A. titles.

Maybe Mike can be convinced to make a Pacific Pack available, consisting of only the USMC and Japanese units from Guadalcanal.
07-26-2014, 04:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-26-2014, 05:36 AM by Hugmenot.)
Avalanche Press stopped selling Waltzing Matilda, Power of the East, Nihon Silk, Alaska's War, and all other ziplock and downloadable supplements several months ago.

Avalanche Press had Jungle Fighting listed at $5 in their latest Summer sale. I got two copies on eBay for $1.99 each and can't tell tell how many times I have seen it on eBay for $5 or less. For whatever reason, it just does not sell well nor does it have good secondary market value. I have not played it but do note it is ranked 57 out of 58 supplements. Personally, I suspect this is the type of product some players love but has not wide appeal.

Kokoda Trail sells better than Jungle Fighting in secondary markets but not that well either. I assume this lack of interest is also reflected in direct sales. This one ranks a 3.1 (46 out of 58) but I would not be surprised it's better than that. I think part of the issue is the first two scenarios are well below average and thus they may discourage players from attempting other scenarios (I almost fell into that category). The maps, while gorgeous, are not that functional; I found them quite difficult to read. Again, I think it's a sub-niche product.

I would not be surprised other supplements go out of print; I can't imagine Secret Weapons and Edelweiss selling well in the future when they are require so many products to play.
07-26-2014, 05:35 AM,
Yes, we are witnessing a tidal change in supply strategy at Avalanche. Most supplements that rely on maps from Afrika Korps and Desert Rats are now out of print, and Desert's Rats imminent departure has been announced, as new desert map sets become available from Sword of Israel, Army and Dawn, and Lawrence of Arabia (possibly also some from Conquest of Ethiopia).
07-26-2014, 06:02 AM,
I believe in the future the stated intent is that any supplement is match with a single boxed game instead of the multiples that have occurred in the past. This will make them more specific and less random like others mentioned.
07-26-2014, 10:00 AM,
(07-26-2014, 06:02 AM)campsawyer Wrote: any supplement is match with a single boxed game instead of the multiples that have occurred in the past.

I have some problems with this, as it is quite a bind on the naval series. In its strictest sense it will lead to a fair amount of counter duplication, if one core game's maps are used and the extra counters come from the supplement sheet as opposed to other games.

I can appreciate something that needs 5+ games / supplements may be for collectors only. I'd like to know what other folks feel: how many required games is too many? Sounds like a poll is needed!

-Jim
"Bugs! BUGS!!!"
07-26-2014, 11:25 AM,
(07-26-2014, 10:00 AM)stear Wrote:
(07-26-2014, 06:02 AM)campsawyer Wrote: any supplement is match with a single boxed game instead of the multiples that have occurred in the past.

I have some problems with this, as it is quite a bind on the naval series. In its strictest sense it will lead to a fair amount of counter duplication, if one core game's maps are used and the extra counters come from the supplement sheet as opposed to other games.

I can appreciate something that needs 5+ games / supplements may be for collectors only. I'd like to know what other folks feel: how many required games is too many? Sounds like a poll is needed!

-Jim

Good question Jim. I think the harder part is keeping all those games available for the supplements. Keeping 5 games for a supplement might be hard when 2 of the 5 don't sell well or cost too much to reprint.
07-26-2014, 11:38 AM,
(07-26-2014, 11:25 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Good question Jim. I think the harder part is keeping all those games available for the supplements. Keeping 5 games for a supplement might be hard when 2 of the 5 don't sell well or cost too much to reprint.

OK, I created a poll over on BGG: weigh in!

How many is too many?

-Jim
"Bugs! BUGS!!!"
07-27-2014, 08:52 AM,
There's one guy out there that voted for 10+ titles required. That must be you Jim, voting for THE MIGHTY HOOD to be released as a full fleshed book with counters for ship upgrades.
07-27-2014, 11:18 AM,
(07-27-2014, 08:52 AM)larry marak Wrote: There's one guy out there that voted for 10+ titles required. That must be you Jim

Nay Larry, not me! I'm actually the voice of reason at max = 4! Big Grin

I was thinking the 10+ was you. Or maybe it's GROGnads! Tongue

Mike is trying to beat me down to 1-2. That's going to be a challenge. As originally conceived, Splendid Little would need 8+, and Flying Carriers and U.S. Navy War Plans 6+. This is a problem. Need to think about one 70-long equivalent sheet that could be added to each, to cut down on the games required. And the operational maps are another problem.

-Jim
"Bugs! BUGS!!!"