Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over-reaching?
07-18-2014, 09:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2014, 09:39 AM by larry marak.)
Over-reaching?
Over at consimworld today Dr. B. mentioned that the boxed line for SWWAS will be sold out by the end of the month and will go some time before reprinting, as production will be dominated the next several (many?) months by the France 40 reprint, 5 new PG titles and 2 I.A. titles. I've noted here before that Avalanche is facing the problem that Avalon Hill, SPI, and TSR did of having a larger line than it can effectively support. I'm surprised to see inventory this imbalanced over in Alabama, though not that Avalanche sees the PG system as its primary money generator.
07-18-2014, 10:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2014, 10:47 AM by richvalle.)
RE: Over-reaching?
(07-18-2014, 09:38 AM)larry marak Wrote: Over at consimworld today Dr. B. mentioned that the boxed line for SWWAS will be sold out by the end of the month and will go some time before reprinting, as production will be dominated the next several (many?) months by the France 40 reprint, 5 new PG titles and 2 I.A. titles. I've noted here before that Avalanche is facing the problem that Avalon Hill, SPI, and TSR did of having a larger line than it can effectively support. I'm surprised to see inventory this imbalanced over in Alabama, though not that Avalanche sees the PG system as its primary money generator.

I thought SWWAS/GWAS was their 'most popular line' of games.
07-18-2014, 10:53 AM,
Maybe the margins are better on PG games? I don't have the slightest clue about the XXWAS fan base but they can't possibly have been subject to and purchased as many games and supplements as PG fans... we have 73 games in the Library!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-19-2014, 12:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-19-2014, 12:59 AM by larry marak.)
GWAS Mediterranean was ? is ? their best selling title of all time, and the game that brought the company recognition throughout the hobby. GWAS has had 16 boxed games, 11 books with 1 more coming soon, and 4 digital downloads. With 4 of the boxed games being revisions of earlier editions, that's two boxed game less than PG, if you consider Dr. B's and Jim Stear's extensive redevelopment and expansion of the revised games as separate editions, then its 2 more boxed games than PG! Of course, 5 more boxed PG games are in the offing.

SWWAS has produced 10 boxed games including Leyte Gulf, the biggest game Avalanche has ever done, 9 books with more in production, and 2 digital downloads.
07-19-2014, 12:57 AM,
I picked up 2 of the SWWAS games during the last sale to see if I like the series. I enjoyed Flat Top back in the day so I'm hoping I'll like these too. If so, I'd like to get Bomb Alley as well as that one looks good.
07-19-2014, 04:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-19-2014, 04:17 AM by tlangston28.)
(07-19-2014, 12:57 AM)richvalle Wrote: I picked up 2 of the SWWAS games during the last sale to see if I like the series. I enjoyed Flat Top back in the day so I'm hoping I'll like these too. If so, I'd like to get Bomb Alley as well as that one looks good.

Rich - If you ever want to play an SWWAS or GWAS game, I would be willing to do that. I have played 2 games with Alan Sawyer on Skype and it was alot of fun - especially since we had to use a special spreadsheet that controlled the logs and movement, so it was truly a "blind" system. Also, we played two 70 turn scenarios and both of those took 2 weekday evening sessions each - pretty quick.

That said, I wouldn't mind playing the standard way FTF and see how that plays. I played (and still have) the old AH Submarine game which was one of my favorite games. I would even be willing to play that one.
I, too would be willing to get more of the XX At Sea games if I was able to play somewhat regularly (given my schedule).

I don't have any SWWAS games but I do have some GWAS
Mediterranean
Pacific Crossroads
Dreadnoughts
several Golden Journal OBs with Turkish Navy and the other big ships.
07-19-2014, 04:30 AM,
John and I broke out Submarine a while back and played a battle. Fun times.

Sounds good to me. We'll add it to the list of games we'll play some time in the future. Smile

Sigh, so many games.

rv
07-19-2014, 01:05 PM,
Also, the rule books for GWAS/SWWAS are in dire need of a revision/new edition. James Stear already got offers for free help on BGG (mine included Smile) but I don't know if/when this will fit on Avalanche's schedule.
07-19-2014, 01:25 PM,
(07-19-2014, 01:05 PM)Vincenzo Beretta Wrote: Also, the rule books for GWAS/SWWAS are in dire need of a revision/new edition. James Stear already got offers for free help on BGG (mine included Smile) but I don't know if/when this will fit on Avalanche's schedule.

Probably start issuing the suggested drafts later (like, much later) this year, Vincenzo. So stand by! I have you on the review / test list. Ironclads and the Houston exile much on my mind.

Larry, I understand the shortage is for SWWAS is boxes! Huh So not quite a crisis.

That said, I will feel better about the APL finanical situation if Mike finishes shipping all the YoPG promises (six games) BEFORE the next big promo! Wink

-Jim
"Bugs! BUGS!!!"
07-22-2014, 12:56 AM,
I know what you mean Jim, my acquisition budget ends with my retirement, T-515 days, 9 hours, 48 minutes and counting. I need to RECEIVE what's advance ordered before then.