Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing On Skype
07-17-2014, 08:43 AM,
Playing On Skype
Can someone explain to me how playing on skype works, what kind of set-up I should have etc...

Thanks in advance

~Nick
07-17-2014, 08:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-17-2014, 08:53 AM by Shad.)
RE: Playing On Skype
(07-17-2014, 08:43 AM)nicky_longbranch Wrote: Can someone explain to me how playing on skype works, what kind of set-up I should have etc...

Thanks in advance

~Nick

Imagine playing "back to back" rather than head-to-head: you have the scenario set up twice, and the players read off their movements to each other: "The GREN in 0403 will advance to 0404... 0405" and the players update their own setups accordingly.

The addition of Skype simply lets that be done across great distance.

So you will need adequate space to set up your scenario AND have a laptop or desktop with Skype running nearby.

I don't think many or any of our regular Skype warriors make use of webcams. Whether that's because we're all ugly old trolls or just spend the whole time looking at the board and not the monitor is up for debate Wink

An online dice rolling site is usually involved, though it isn't a requirement really. Our lads are pretty honorable.

I'll let someone who does this frequently fill in the details... but that's the gist.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-17-2014, 08:53 AM,
(07-17-2014, 08:51 AM)Shad Wrote:
(07-17-2014, 08:43 AM)nicky_longbranch Wrote: Can someone explain to me how playing on skype works, what kind of set-up I should have etc...

Thanks in advance

~Nick

Imagine playing "back to back" rather than head-to-head: you have the scenario set up twice, and the players read off their movements to each other: "The GREN in 0403 will advance to 0404... 0405" and the players update their own setups accordingly.

The addition of Skype simply lets that be one across great distance.

So you will need adequate space to set up your scenario AND have a laptop or desktop with Skype running nearby.

I don't think many or any of our regular Skype warriors make use of webcams. Whether that's because we're all ugly old trolls or just spend the whole time looking at the board and not the monitor is up for debate Wink

An online dice rolling site is usually involved, though it isn't a requirement really. Our lads are pretty honorable.

I'll let someone who does this frequently fill in the details... but that's the gist.

Thanks Shad
07-17-2014, 08:54 AM,
Anyone up for Saipan or Marianas Scenario.
07-17-2014, 10:51 AM,
Hey shad,

Might it not be a good idea to put the article I wrote on Skype play as a sticky so that it is readily available?

I don't remember the post specifically, Hugmenot probably knows it better than I do!
07-17-2014, 10:52 AM,
(07-17-2014, 08:54 AM)nicky_longbranch Wrote: Anyone up for Saipan or Marianas Scenario.

Hi Nicky,

I have played about 13-14 games on SKype and there is a somewhat active group here that does play. I don't get around to it as often as I like but I would be willing to play one of these, especially since I have both and have never played a PTO scenario.

I may have to do a read-over on the 4th Ed. rules just to make sure I have the differences down.
07-17-2014, 10:56 AM,
Nicky,

Shad has most of it correct. For the dice rolling use hamate https://dicelog.com/newlogdice. It is free and easy to use. No need for webcams as you call out the moves and fires. The bigger issue is scheduling. Depending on where you are and your timezone it may be an issue for Europe of Asia players. I am in US East Coast zone so it is not back with Europe/England. Asia is not bad as you can get on a 12 hour schedule. Typical time for games depend on the size/number of turns and complexity of the scenario. Usually do a 4 hour session and sometimes get 8 turns done some times just 3 or 4 and after 3-4 session the scenario is done. So it is faster than Pbem but slower than FtF. It is alot of fun as you get to meet other players from around the country and the world.
07-17-2014, 10:58 AM,
Speaking of Skype Tony, no storms tonight so I am good to go with our game.
07-18-2014, 07:13 AM,
I'd be up for more Skype play if PG was supported more by Vassal.