Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I Going Mad
12-20-2014, 02:36 AM,
RE: Am I Going Mad
I am the first to admit that I am not an artist. My cartographic work has been with the bleeding edge of the digital GIS, photogrammetry and production technologies through the 80' and 90's. However, I do know what the ground looks like, and the Liberation 1944 maps bear no resemblance to France (or anyplace else for that matter) at all. Unless of course the topography of Northern France and the colors of the countryside has changed immensely since 1944.

Shrinkage has been an issue in the map printing industry forever and not only for gamers. All media used in professional cartographic circles from glass photographic plates, through the more modern film stock used in aerial photography and photo lithography had the same issues. Great pains had to be taken to ensure that the resulting errors were minimized, often using mechanical means. Since the mid-eighties digital capture, visualization and reproduction have been a boon for cartographers and now geomatics professionals of all kinds. And yes, the transition was a nightmare technically and with the hide bound decision makers who had difficulty seeing the possibilities for the new data technologies. But that is another story...

I hate being critical of their efforts, and I do realize that APL has taken steps to sort out graphics issues of late. I can only hope that the consistency and design control shown with the counter art becomes a key ingredient of the PG maps in future.
12-20-2014, 03:12 AM,
I wonder how many people would buy a map pack of all the non-historical maps done in one style.
12-20-2014, 03:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2014, 03:22 AM by stugibsonca.)
I know I would. As long as the maps bear some resemblance to the real world, symbology and colour wise...
12-20-2014, 08:06 AM,
I believe Guy Rissen, the current artist, sought opinions of this exact topic one or two years ago.

I would buy another EF and RtB map pack if they were redone in the Kursk style, even with tyhe knowledge EF and RtB will be OOP in less than one week.
12-20-2014, 08:34 AM,
(12-20-2014, 08:06 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I believe Guy Rissen, the current artist, sought opinions of this exact topic one or two years ago.

I would buy another EF and RtB map pack if they were redone in the Kursk style, even with tyhe knowledge EF and RtB will be OOP in less than one week.

So many unplayed supplements needing these maps, so little time. Tongue
12-20-2014, 09:34 AM,
(12-20-2014, 03:12 AM)richvalle Wrote: I wonder how many people would buy a map pack of all the non-historical maps done in one style.

Not a chance. I've spent plenty of money on the originals. I'm not going to rebuy them.
12-20-2014, 11:53 AM,
(12-20-2014, 09:34 AM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote:
(12-20-2014, 03:12 AM)richvalle Wrote: I wonder how many people would buy a map pack of all the non-historical maps done in one style.

Not a chance. I've spent plenty of money on the originals. I'm not going to rebuy them.

Count me out as well for the same reason.
12-20-2014, 12:06 PM,
Count me out of AP all together, i'll make all my purchases second hand.

(12-20-2014, 11:53 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote:
(12-20-2014, 09:34 AM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote:

Count me out as well for the same reason.
12-20-2014, 12:11 PM,
but Shad, why is that?

(06-23-2014, 08:21 PM)Shad Wrote: This Marianas business has established three new principles one must keep in mind when dealing with AP:
  1. Almost every product is going to have multiple editions.
  2. Each subsequent edition will improve over the previous edition.
  3. Quality control on first-runs is poor.
Given the above, unless you've gotta get your fix or have money to burn on retrofits, buying first runs is hard to justify.