Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vassal
06-18-2014, 08:59 AM,
vassal
Hi,

What's happening with PG vassal? I recall talk of it a while ago, I know AP doesn't like vassal, but no FtF games where I am so vassal is a lifeline.

I like PG, but haven't played it/bought it for a long time; you get so much more out of it with an opponent.

Are guys using their own rigs and Skype to play games? I'd like to get playing some PG again - especially like to try Cassino CG or something - and pick up some new products, but with so many other great games supported by vassal it's hard to get going.

On that note, anyone interested in trying a game using Skype? There might be a few problems to work through, but nothing that you wouldn't find in solo play. Could just load up vasl or something to roll dice.

I'm on NZ time, but pretty flexible around timings if interested.

Cheers,

Dale.
06-18-2014, 09:06 AM,
RE: vassal
Dale,

Vassal is an on and off thing for PG. APL will not do much to create it but if some one creates it they will post it on the site. Shad, the owner of this site, was working on something for Vassal but has become too busy with life to finish it.

As for Skype this is the best way to go it you don't have FtF players available. Each player needs a copy of the game, a Skype account and a Hamate dicerolling account for best plays. It is all done by voice and usually takes a few sessions for a scenario, but it is quite rewarding. As for a play it maybe a little tough with you in NZ and folks in US or Europe. I know there are a couple for Aussie players from time to time so you may want to connect with them.
06-18-2014, 10:16 AM,
Cool thanks for the info mate. I won't let a timezone stop me Smile

I'll see if I can hook up a game.

Dale.
06-22-2014, 09:57 AM,
I've had Elsenborn Ridge more or less complete sitting on my laptop for 2 months now. As campsawyer said, it's hard for me to find time to work on these projects. I'm going to try and get that finished and into Mike B's hands this week so he can post it.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-26-2014, 09:43 AM,
And Elsenborn Ridge is down to a few copies. Its good that the copies are selling out, as newly printed editions will include (I presume 4th edition rules), but the drawback of successful expansion of the PG line is longer periods of games staying out of print, or some games e.g. Beyond Normandy going to Valhalla.
06-26-2014, 10:34 AM,
(06-26-2014, 09:43 AM)larry marak Wrote: some games e.g. Beyond Normandy going to Valhalla.

Pretty sure its maps are going straight to Hell! Tongue
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-26-2014, 11:26 PM,
Elsenborn Ridge was out of print earlier this year and came back into print; I am sure the same thing will happen soon. It's no big deal, really.

People can look for copies on eBay but may find there it's not always possible to find a very good price on it. It's one of the PG that resells well on eBay.

eBay is a good place to purchase Beyond Normandy because you can often find copies for under $25. The same applies to Afrika Korps, Desert Rats, and to Battle of the Bulge to a lesser extent.
06-27-2014, 11:12 PM,
(06-26-2014, 11:26 PM)Hugmenot Wrote: eBay is a good place to purchase Beyond Normandy because you can often find copies for under $25. The same applies to Afrika Korps, Desert Rats, and to Battle of the Bulge to a lesser extent.

You are quite correct, and that goes for most of them.

I got Afrika Korps, Road To Berlin, Cassino '44 and about 6 supplement books through several ebay auctions - my total out of pocket .... about $130 or a little more than the cost of Cassino 44 plus shipping.

Also, BGG marketplace is a good shot if you are willing to shuffle through the lists.

Finally - the sales with Gold Club have more than paid for the membership (for me anyway).