Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1940 Fall Of Luxembourg
06-27-2014, 12:50 AM,
RE: 1940 Fall Of Luxembourg
The way I see it, you either hold the passes until the French arrive (3rd DLM was planned I think) or you use the Q-bomb. Maybe Tully has some ideas. He did pretty well before. Wink
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-27-2014, 06:02 AM,
(06-27-2014, 12:50 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: The way I see it, you either hold the passes until the French arrive (3rd DLM was planned I think) or you use the Q-bomb. Maybe Tully has some ideas. He did pretty well before. Wink

You forgot the "Stall for time" option ! Wink
06-27-2014, 06:29 AM,
(06-27-2014, 06:02 AM)vince hughes Wrote: You forgot the "Stall for time" option ! Wink

As for us, our eyes as yet failed, watching for our vain help: in our watching we have watched for a nation that could not save us. Lamentations 4:17 :'(
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-27-2014, 08:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2014, 08:55 AM by larry marak.)
(06-26-2014, 10:47 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Ok Larry, what would your plan be? You have an army of just shy of 450 and 250 backups (the gendarmes), and lots of forest with narrow roads. You plan general? (Oh, yeah. They do have a general.) Hurry up! 3 panzer divisions are on the way!

Burn the forests to delay the incoming forces and retreat...literally a scorched earth defense would have been the most effective use of the limited forces. This would be a Luxembourger equivalent of Switzerland's plan against Nazi invastion, which was to blow every tunnel in the country to cause major economic dislocation in Greater Germany and Italy, as well as slowing down the invader's mobility.
06-27-2014, 09:38 AM,
(06-27-2014, 08:52 AM)larry marak Wrote: Burn the forests to delay the incoming forces and retreat...literally a scorched earth defense would have been the most effective use of the limited forces. This would be a Luxembourger equivalent of Switzerland's plan against Nazi invastion, which was to blow every tunnel in the country to cause major economic dislocation in Greater Germany and Italy, as well as slowing down the invader's mobility.

You still mist the point. Luxembourg is so small that if they burned all the forests, the Cologne (Koln) fire brigade could put them all out themselves working one shift ! Big Grin
06-27-2014, 09:46 AM,
That's the best I can come up without using Martian Tripods to defend Luxembourg from the enemy.
06-27-2014, 10:05 AM,
(06-27-2014, 09:38 AM)vince hughes Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 08:52 AM)larry marak Wrote: Burn the forests to delay the incoming forces and retreat...literally a scorched earth defense would have been the most effective use of the limited forces. This would be a Luxembourger equivalent of Switzerland's plan against Nazi invastion, which was to blow every tunnel in the country to cause major economic dislocation in Greater Germany and Italy, as well as slowing down the invader's mobility.

You still mist the point. Luxembourg is so small that if they burned all the forests, the Cologne (Koln) fire brigade could put them all out themselves working one shift ! Big Grin

Dare I suggest the Cologne Fire Brigade could do it with a couple of kegs of beer Big Grin
06-27-2014, 10:22 AM,

Does this mostly just create a highway for the next day? Incinerating the country is a little different than closing down the tunnels.

I remember I burned a forest on my flank long ago in Crescendo of Doom. It worked. Then I thought more strategically. Basically I realized that I won the battle, lost the war (battle tomorrow). In Luxembourg's case, would also destroy what you are defending.
06-27-2014, 10:39 AM,
Quote:I remember I burned a forest on my flank long ago in Crescendo of Doom.

Ha, Ha, that does bring back memories. Once the fires started in the game, it seemed that it was more about how much of the board could be on fire rather than the VC's. Good times, Good times.
06-27-2014, 05:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2014, 05:54 PM by vince hughes.)
Alan said:
"Dare I suggest the Cologne Fire Brigade could do it with a couple of kegs of beer Big Grin"

A funny quote from one of the World Cup Games the other day.

It was Germany v Ghana and just before the kick-off, the commentator was going on about the heat & humidity in Brazil. After telling us the facts of the conditions he said

"Well, without access to all the weather stats, you know it must be overly hot and humid when you see the German fans drinking water instead of a beer".

LOL - Must be the reason I get on so well on my regular visits there.

Wahoo ! That's just reminded me ..... Off to Berlin for 5 nights on Wednesday.

Cogitates Homer Simpson like: mmmm, beer, pork, beer, meats, beer and beer.