Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone once asked about the Elsenborn picture.
06-09-2014, 11:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2014, 02:01 AM by plloyd1010.)
Someone once asked about the Elsenborn picture.
I got curious and looked for it too. It is Tiger Tank #332 for the 501st SS Hv Tank Battalion, now "stationed" at the General George Patton Museum. Here is a blurb I found on a forum: http://damijwh.blogspot.com/2008/08/welc...s-lot.html

[Image: panzer0112.jpg]

Mystery solved!
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-10-2014, 01:56 AM,
RE: Someone once asked the Elsenborn picture.
I've been wanting to drive down to the museum. Not that far from me in Chicago.
06-10-2014, 04:04 AM,
RE: Someone once asked about the Elsenborn picture.
From what I understand, the Armor museum has been moved to Fort Jackson, SC. The Patton Museum is now mostly about Patton, and about military leadership. When the Armor school moved, they took the armor part of the museum with it. Still a nice museum, just not sure it's worth the trip from Chicago to see it.

http://www.generalpatton.org/index.asp

Tom Oxley
06-10-2014, 04:05 AM,
Well, missed it a bit. Moved to Fort Benning, GA. http://www.armorcavalrymuseum.org/
06-10-2014, 05:25 AM,
Oh man! Now I'm bummed I didn't do it a few years ago when I was thinking about it.

Thanks for the info.
06-10-2014, 06:15 AM,
I was at Ft Knox for basic and scout training in 74 and again as a chaplain assistant 83-87, and I could never get enough of that place. Every free moment I had, what little there was, during school I spent there, and the last thing I did before leaving in 87 was to host the Louisville Corvair Club meeting at the museum and park nearby. I really was bummed out when I found out it was moving. I'm in Dayton, OH, and a good friend of mine now works as a civilian at the Human Resources Command at Knox so I thought I would get to see the place again when visiting him. Things just never work out the way we plan. On a positive note, with the loss of all the old wooden buildings that were still there in the 80s, the building known as the Whale is still there. The odd shaped building used to be part of the restoration facility for the museum and was built to train tank crews on getting into and out of LSTs, so it had a bow-shaped part on one end with the clam-shell doors to go with it. The one part of the museum I remember might still be there, that being the scale model of the gold vault used in the movie, Goldfinger. No sense in moving that to Ft Benning. Well, if your interested in planes, the Air Force Museum is growing again near Dayton and would probably be worth the trip, anyway. My son is a submariner stationed up at Great Lakes Navy Base, and he just started volunteering at the Museum of Science and Industry in the section with the WW2 U-boat. I'm hoping to get back up to visit with him and see that place.
06-10-2014, 11:37 AM,
(06-10-2014, 06:15 AM)thomaso827 Wrote: I was at Ft Knox for basic and scout training in 74 and again as a chaplain assistant 83-87, and I could never get enough of that place. Every free moment I had, what little there was, during school I spent there, and the last thing I did before leaving in 87 was to host the Louisville Corvair Club meeting at the museum and park nearby. I really was bummed out when I found out it was moving. I'm in Dayton, OH, and a good friend of mine now works as a civilian at the Human Resources Command at Knox so I thought I would get to see the place again when visiting him. Things just never work out the way we plan. On a positive note, with the loss of all the old wooden buildings that were still there in the 80s, the building known as the Whale is still there. The odd shaped building used to be part of the restoration facility for the museum and was built to train tank crews on getting into and out of LSTs, so it had a bow-shaped part on one end with the clam-shell doors to go with it. The one part of the museum I remember might still be there, that being the scale model of the gold vault used in the movie, Goldfinger. No sense in moving that to Ft Benning. Well, if your interested in planes, the Air Force Museum is growing again near Dayton and would probably be worth the trip, anyway. My son is a submariner stationed up at Great Lakes Navy Base, and he just started volunteering at the Museum of Science and Industry in the section with the WW2 U-boat. I'm hoping to get back up to visit with him and see that place.

Nice about your son! It's been years since we've been there... need to go again.