Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attn: Larry APL daily content alert
05-28-2014, 04:27 AM,
Attn: Larry APL daily content alert
Larry,

If I recall correctly, you frequently capture/store APL daily content especially if there is something of interest or note? You might want to grab http://www.avalanchepress.com/BeyondPreview.php . Note that APL uses the erroneous PzIVH counter image jpg with the '5' movement factor. Probably never going to be worth the same as a 1955 double-die penny, but thought you might be interested.
05-28-2014, 04:43 AM,
RE: Attn: Larry APL daily content alert
Interesting article. For those who have the game, it explains why we have the ultra thin counters. Seems a giant Chinese panda sat on them; or something like that. With Liberation as its replacement, my only issue is with those dark maps. I hope there is a reprint with the lighter ones. The ones for Saipan make it worth playing again.
05-28-2014, 06:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2014, 06:06 AM by Brett Nicholson.)
Since it seems to be a paper and/or a geomorphic map production issue we can expect 'Afrika Korps' to follow the same demise of 'Desert Rats' with 'An Army at Dawn' becoming the core Desert war boxed set. And also see 'Guadacanal' being replaced by 'Saipan 44' as the core Pacific war game. I'm sure 'Cassino 44' will get repackaged eventually. I'm sure they'll all get repackaged or remarketed in the future but that may be quite some time given AP's uncanny production rate (re: Burning Tigers). It's not so much of those boxed sets going out of print but the components they provide for supplements. For example, without 'Afrika Korps' or 'Guadalcanal' being available then supplements like 'Kokoda Trail' seem likely to fall by the wayside or go out of print as it would become virtually unplayable without the Australian OOB. In a way I kind of like that because I already own three of the five games with the paper maps and glad I bought those while available from retailers.
05-28-2014, 07:17 AM,
First the Airborne:IE super wagons, now the hobbling PzIV's! What is the world coming to?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-30-2014, 05:59 AM,
I brought the errata regarding the PzIV's to Larry's attention since the topic of DC errata arose some time ago with the first Pusan DC post that ascribed designer kudos to Mike Perryman. I thought Larry might be keeping a collection like blooper reels.

An element of today's DC on Israeli armor might also be of interest to some here. Specifically, the "deal" for funneling US armor to the Israeli's through West Germany (and, later, Italy) was an important background element in Frederick Forsyth's novel The Odessa File.