Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Who commands the SPAs?
06-08-2014, 10:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2014, 10:57 AM by Poor Yorek.)
RE: Who commands the SPAs?
Vince and Alan:

Vince, I referenced both 6.8 and 6.83 (the one you copied) in my post #8

The point remains, however, that activation of an SPA by a regular leader is not the same as would be the case for that same leader activating a regular (towed) artillery battery/unit. If it were, then the regular leader's morale bonus would apply to the SPA just as it does to the towed unit. Since it doesn't, clearly some distinction is being drawn for the case of a regular leader's activation of this special class of AFVs. This calls in to question, therefore, whether the lack of any explicit mention of use of a regular leader's combat bonus was intentional (as you and Alan seem to believe) or an error of omission (which I only raise as a possibility).

Since Doug was not part of 4th Ed development (or was he?), I'm not sure what Doug's opinion might be worth here. Can those of you more closely aligned with this new rule set ask for a clarification from John Stafford? (besides, Doug's comment that you quoted was these sorts of units are NOT AFV's, but that is not the case with 4th ed which state, as I read them, that they are - hence why they can be activated by "tank" leaders and regular leaders)

Understand, I'm not arguing that one outcome is better, or more appropriate/realistic or what have you: I'm simply saying that the rules here are not unambiguous and, thus, a definitive clarification from the lawgiver would be useful.

PS FWIW, I'd prefer the answer to be that the combat bonus applies as I typically like to devote a combat bonus leader (if lucky enough to have one) to the artillery park for just that purpose. It would be nice to have the flexibility to couple the SPA's and towed artillery (or multiple SPAs) this way, but felt the question needed resolution.
06-09-2014, 07:09 PM,
RE: Who commands the SPAs?
(06-08-2014, 10:38 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: Vince and Alan:

Vince, I referenced both 6.8 and 6.83 (the one you copied) in my post #8

Of course, I know that. I put it there so that others knew what we were referencing to save them doing what I had to do. (Go into rules and find it).

I'm a kind-hearted soul Heart