Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distance playing.
05-24-2014, 10:06 PM,
Distance playing.
Hi there,

After talking to my mate about PG and how ive so liked the look of Africa Korps ive also picked up Cassino and Desert Rats he was asking if there was a way we could play against each other. The thing is he's on the Isle of Man and im in the UK. Are there any tools that would allow us to game online?

I thought vassal (I know of it and that's about it) but the game is not listed in there modules.

Ive heard of Cyberboard, but know even less of that than I do of Vassal.

If anyone could point me in the correct direction to some guide or other that would be great.

Thanks
Brian.
05-24-2014, 10:59 PM,
RE: Distance playing.
There are no VASSAL or Cyberboard modules for PG except for the VASSAL Airborne module that you have to get from AP. This has always been a sore spot among PG players. What you can do is play using Skype and both have the game set up and talk through the moves. I believe Vince Hughes does a lot of "distance " PG playing so hopefully he will chime in and tell you how he does it.
05-25-2014, 12:26 AM,
Tony Langston wrote a good description on how to play via Skype in post #4 of the Play on line thread.

It takes a turn or two to get the hang of it but it's very easy.

Skype games do take longer to play than face-to-fave games but it's faster than VASSAL in my opinion. I've played only one Airborne scenario real-time in VASSAL so your mileage may vary.
05-25-2014, 02:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-25-2014, 03:42 AM by richvalle.)
If you are really not in a hurry you can play by email as well. There are websites you can use for dice rolls.
05-25-2014, 06:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-25-2014, 06:30 AM by vince hughes.)
Brian,

I'm sure I already wrote you , but there are 2 of us here in the UK that have played opponents in these islands, Germany, Italy, Morocco and of course the US.

This is all done FREE via Skype and hamete dice.

Just checking my stats, I think I have played 56 of my 160 plays over Skype. These have been scenarios of ALL sizes and unless you have a particular desire to see your opponent's ugly mug, then there is no difference to face-to-face gaming apart from having to call out the hexes you are moving through.

Read Tony's article and if interested or you have more questions email me hughesvince69 AT yahoo DOT com
05-25-2014, 10:06 AM,
Skype is the way to for plays. Not only the ability to play at convenient but to learn about others as well as to learn about them. One story I am fond of is the were Vinve and I were in an intense turn and as we were mulling over an activation, my daughter came into the next room. Well is is known for her gastronical complement on meals and as Vince and I were silently thinking she let out a loud burp. Vince said, "What was that?". I explained it to him and we joked that was the "Burp heard round the world". Good stuff beyond the games.
05-25-2014, 11:01 PM,
Thanks all,

I was hoping for a virtual solution but that's ok.

Maybe I can set up a web cam for his moves Smile

Take Care.
05-26-2014, 12:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-26-2014, 06:18 AM by vince hughes.)
I think you are relying on VASSAL as the be all and end all and you seem to be shaking off Skype as any viable option.

If you genuinely want opponent play I am surprised at your apparent push-off of Skype. I think you might believe there are more problems than there are. For me it is easier and also saves the hassle of all the downloading and its associate PC problems. It's a shame.
05-26-2014, 01:11 AM,
I was reluctant to use Skype at first but it really was the only option I had to get a shared match in. I had a few concerns concerning using a web cam but then realized it was not only not needed but would probably cause more complications; especially with someones clumsy hands getting in the way of the camera when moving units around. Instead each player calls out the hexes they are moving or firing into and the other player moves their pieces for them etc. It takes a few turns to get the hang of it but is really the best way for distance playing.
05-26-2014, 10:47 AM,
There is too much in the game itself that requires interaction to easily fit into a true virtual process except for the smaller scenarios. There is a VASSAL module for Airborne, however.

I would strongly suggest playing via a dual table setup and chat with a dice server. It flows almost as quickly as playing face to face and gives you the ability to play with many more people - and to actually finish a scenario.
No "minor" country left behind...