Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Eastern Front' random events/change in orders -send reinforcements elsewhere
05-16-2014, 10:19 PM,
'Eastern Front' random events/change in orders -send reinforcements elsewhere
I understand that a lot of people don't use the random events tables as they can make a scenario somewhat "gamey" or "dicey" at times. But I really like the 'Eastern Front' random events compared to others (especially the randomly drawn aircraft ones). Anyway, my question is concerning the "send reinforcemants elsewhere" result. It reads: "six infantry (INF or CAV, MTN, SMG or ENG) and two HMG steps plus one leader must move off the board within the next seven turns ...".

Okay, do those units have to be chosen immediately and do they have to start moving right away? Second, if they fail to make it off the board within the seven turns are they just removed from play anyway and/or count as eliminated steps? Huh In some cases they may be involved in assaults and or be in disrupted/demoralized status and not able to make a beeline for or get to an exit right away. In this particular scenario any units that exit the map are considered eliminated for all purposes anyway. I suppose the same question could be presented for the "withdraw/change in orders" random event as well. Not a crucial inquiry and I have already decided how I am going to play this one out but would be interested what others thought about this.
05-16-2014, 10:51 PM,
RE: 'Eastern Front' random events/change in orders -send reinforcements elsewhere
All those questions are another reason why I never use them Brett. They are just inserted with no detail and seem to me to be an afterthought as some games have them and others do not.
05-16-2014, 11:17 PM,
RE: 'Eastern Front' random events/change in orders -send reinforcements elsewhere
I totally understand that Vince, especially with shared matches and that you very rarely play solitaire. I don't care too much for the 'Desert Rats' or 'Guadalcanal' random events but in 'Eastern Front', especially in the case of some of the heavily scripted scenarios where one side's chances of achieving their VCs is next to impossible the random events keep the outcome from being 100% predictable.

In this case the Soviets were/are just 3 enemy step losses away from eking out their VCs when they got this harsh change in orders after having a good foothold. But now, by the time those units have to exit there won't be be much of anything left to follow through with their counterattack. In this scenario (EF#31-"Head On"), so far, there have been no German victories recorded but this one event may make the difference as once these Soviet units leave in another 3 turns there will be only 4 steps of their foot units left. This scenario is far from over with 12 turns left to go and the Soviets do still have a few armored units and OBA left but now the odds are very much stacked against them now instead of being in their favor.
05-16-2014, 11:37 PM,
I've always taken the random events to be "outside" of the scenario instructions. Therefore, they don't count as eliminated for the scenario purposes as they as leaving under orders.

As to the "must exit", in some scenarios there simply aren't enough forces to get the required forces off board in the time allotted. If they can't leave I give the side credit for trying if indeed they have done all they can to comply. Not trying is an immediate "loss".

Often these types of random events result in an immediate loss or win for one side or another. I still find them interesting. On the other hand, if I was playing ftf I wouldn't use them as they can completely eliminate a play. So, to summarize, they can be fun when playing solo but don't use them at all when playing an opponent.
No "minor" country left behind...
05-16-2014, 11:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2014, 12:16 AM by Brett Nicholson.)
I guess in this case those units will just be removed when the time is up if they haven't made it off the map voluntarily. This means removing a HMG unit out of an assault hex though. I don't use the random events in shared matches either and would be reluctant to if someone insisted on it for the sake of a fair play. Actually think the Germans will win this one regardless of this event occuring but up until that point the outcome seemed more in doubt. In this scenario, as long as there is one Soviet unit left on the map that can get a combat result, the outcome is still contestable. I'm guessing also that in the event if the units have to removed from play that didn't actually move off the map in time that they should be selected from those in good order first, then disrupted followed by demoralized ones? Or maybe that's looking far too much into it?
05-17-2014, 12:26 AM,
We use random events quite often. In games that don't have them, we adapt one of the other tables. The reason why we like random events is that they screw up our plans. (Since war is not neat and weird shit happens a lot, that makes it a good thing when not over done.)

Closing in on your question. I would probably count every step not exited as a step eliminated, but not actually eliminate anything. That would create a bit of an operational dilemma (ie: if you win you'll be forgiven, of you lose you will have a fair trial and be shot). The units don't all need to leave at the same time. They don't need to move immediately, just exit in 7 turn (we mark the turn track).

In general talk it over with your opponent. Frequently we decide to ignore impractical random events or consensually alter them on the spot.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-17-2014, 12:52 AM,
(05-17-2014, 12:26 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: We use random events quite often. In games that don't have them, we adapt one of the other tables. The reason why we like random events is that they screw up our plans. (Since war is not neat and weird shit happens a lot, that makes it a good thing when not over done.)

Closing in on your question. I would probably count every step not exited as a step eliminated, but not actually eliminate anything. That would create a bit of an operational dilemma (ie: if you win you'll be forgiven, of you lose you will have a fair trial and be shot). The units don't all need to leave at the same time. They don't need to move immediately, just exit in 7 turn (we mark the turn track).

In general talk it over with your opponent. Frequently we decide to ignore impractical random events or consensually alter them on the spot.

This particular random event has made the scenario much more interesting. Just now the 7 turns have passed and all the Soviets have left is one disrupted platoon of INF left for foot units with a vacated assault hex and 3 lone leaders (including the Colonel) shrugging their shoulders. Now a German victory "seems" about 99.9% certain with 10 turns left to go. However, it is still possible, albeit a long shot, that the Soviets can still eliminate 3 German steps or that a random event favoring the Soviets may transpire. In other words, it's not entirely over yet!
05-17-2014, 01:17 AM,
Which scenario is this?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-17-2014, 01:23 AM,
(05-17-2014, 01:17 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Which scenario is this?

'Eastern Front' #31- "Head On" ... one of those one's with the VCs that if both players win, the Soviets win. So in this case, though the Germans have eliminated enough Soviet steps (12) for their VCs they still lose if the Soviets eliminate 10 German steps. Now it's really close as a BT-5 has just eliminated a PzIIIG step; just one more German step loss and ...jinx anyone? Confused
05-17-2014, 03:15 AM,
Having an infantry company march off wouldn't be too bad in that scenario. Severe, but not likely catastrophic.

It could happen. Aim for the Balkan Crosses!