Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW SAIPAN MAP PRINTING
04-23-2014, 03:54 AM,
NEW SAIPAN MAP PRINTING
I received a set of the new maps for Saipan (Mike made a limited number of extra sets for Gold Clubbers last month) and they are much brighter and color corrected. Same terrain, a few less tree symbols, and bright enough that you can easily read terrain types. Hex numbers can now be read in the darkest areas. For anyone hesitating ordering the the new printing over comments they read about the first printing, I can assure you you will be happy with the new maps.
04-23-2014, 04:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2014, 06:16 AM by JayTownsend.)
RE: NEW SAIPAN MAP PRINTING
Excellent news Larry! I hope my copies comes soon as well.
04-23-2014, 05:38 AM,
I second Larry's posting, the maps are better. It looks like Guy and turned up the contrast on the maps so that they can be seen in any light. Ocean and jungle are better, you can see the difference better light jungle and jungle. Even see a hidden trail that is not visible in the darker maps. See pics.

The only issue I see is that the few clear sand hexes are a little washed out, but it can be lived with. Oh and having to pay for a second printing is not great either. Anyone want some darker jungle maps Confused

old

new

04-23-2014, 05:54 AM,
On the other hand, you now have two extra beach maps that can be kept with your Marianas 44 set.
04-23-2014, 06:08 AM,
Were these sent free with an order or have you paid for them again ?
04-23-2014, 06:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2014, 06:23 AM by campsawyer.)
(04-23-2014, 06:08 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Were these sent free with an order or have you paid for them again ?

Unfortunately, pay. Hence why I am out of money for the Marianas.
04-23-2014, 07:13 AM,
Oh well "Then we'll fight in the dark" !
04-23-2014, 08:42 AM,
Free would have been nice, but seriously, cost of replaceing a strip on 8 counters for 400 customers can usually be borne without too much trouble for a company, 400 sets of 4 mapboards apiece was way beyond most companys's finances.

It was a long wait for them to become available, but the wait is over.
04-23-2014, 08:48 AM,
(04-23-2014, 08:42 AM)larry marak Wrote: Free would have been nice, but seriously, cost of replaceing a strip on 8 counters for 400 customers can usually be borne without too much trouble for a company, 400 sets of 4 mapboards apiece was way beyond most companys's finances.

It was a long wait for them to become available, but the wait is over.

Larry, I know you are trying to put a positive spin on it, but is still is tough to have to fork over money for the companies quality issue. It seems I have to do this more and more these days.
04-23-2014, 09:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2014, 09:05 AM by larry marak.)
Your absolutely right of course. I'm just darn glad Mike found a way to keep the company going, even though keeping it alive meant burning quite a few bridges and relationships. It was certainly a quality control issue in the first printing, as some map sets apparently had good contrast, others very poor contrast. It is my suspicion that Saipan's release timing was related to the failure of the release of South Flank to cause a groundswell of new orders, and APL needed a new release to bring in fresh funds and to use up the 400 black silk boxes reserved for new orders for KSF that didn't materialize. You will recall that Fall of Empires was to be the summer release in 2012, (my impression was that the counters, die-cut, were ready) but it was decided that pushing KSF out first would be better for reviving sales and credibility to Avalanche. When KSF didn't generate a lot of new sales, Saipan was pulled out of the accepted design locker-room and went to bat for the gipper. And I think that Jay's magnum opus really did succeeded in reminding all of us of what PG could continue to mean in our future...new, exciting, and unexplored battlefields.