Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marianas 44
04-17-2014, 10:14 PM,
RE: Marianas 44
Or maybe the Ironclads notes on the CSW GWAS series.

1941 Marines. That would be Springfield's and BAR's right?
04-19-2014, 12:21 AM,
First preview:

http://www.avalanchepress.com/MarianasPreview.php
04-19-2014, 01:18 AM,
A very nice preview Jay but what of the Japanese Sherman tank? Was one actually captured and used against the Americans during those battles?
04-19-2014, 01:49 AM,
There sure was one situation where this happened. An American Sherman tank was disabled by a mine and after the crew was pulled from it, the Japanese occupied it and used it as a pill-box with machines guns but were never able to operate the main gun. It held up the ground troops until other Sherman tanks blasted it apart.

This was just part of a larger battle going on and an interesting addition to the situation/battle/scenario. I am at work presently so I don't have the scenario name or number at hand. But good stuff.
04-19-2014, 02:39 AM,
Well, hopefully 'Saipan 44' and 'Marianas 44' will be in print and available for quite a while as I don't have the means to order it now or anytime soon. I'm really liking 'Guadacanal' midway through it despite it's flaws and quirks and my interest in the PG Pacific theater has increased. I plan on moving on to 'Kokoda Trail' next and possibly 'Jungle Fighting' if I manage to get a copy of 'Battle of the Bulge' for the U.S. Army pieces; I like to start off with early war games and supplements first if I can before moving on from let's say - 1942 to 1944. So, it's not a matter of if, but when I get to 'Saipan 44' and the Marianas. I also like that you have included a 1941 Guam scenario for the supplement. If Wake and Correigdor could get could get covered in the future as sideshows would be interesting for the 1941 period. Anyway, looking good!!!! Smile
04-19-2014, 03:48 AM,
(04-19-2014, 01:49 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: There sure was one situation where this happened. An American Sherman tank was disabled by a mine and after the crew was pulled from it, the Japanese occupied it and used it as a pill-box with machines guns but were never able to operate the main gun. It held up the ground troops until other Sherman tanks blasted it apart.

This was just part of a larger battle going on and an interesting addition to the situation/battle/scenario. I am at work presently so I don't have the scenario name or number at hand. But good stuff.

Jay, if this was just one tank without the main gun, why is the counter at full platoon level ratings?
04-19-2014, 05:04 AM,
(04-19-2014, 03:48 AM)campsawyer Wrote:
(04-19-2014, 01:49 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: There sure was one situation where this happened. An American Sherman tank was disabled by a mine and after the crew was pulled from it, the Japanese occupied it and used it as a pill-box with machines guns but were never able to operate the main gun. It held up the ground troops until other Sherman tanks blasted it apart.

Jay, if this was just one tank without the main gun, why is the counter at full platoon level ratings?

Don't worry, when I wrote the scenario, it is on its reduced side and there are special rules for it not be able to move or fire anything but direct fire.

Problem solved.
04-19-2014, 07:17 AM,
(04-19-2014, 02:39 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: Well, hopefully 'Saipan 44' and 'Marianas 44' will be in print and available for quite a while as I don't have the means to order it now or anytime soon. I'm really liking 'Guadacanal' midway through it despite it's flaws and quirks and my interest in the PG Pacific theater has increased. I plan on moving on to 'Kokoda Trail' next and possibly 'Jungle Fighting' if I manage to get a copy of 'Battle of the Bulge' for the U.S. Army pieces; I like to start off with early war games and supplements first if I can before moving on from let's say - 1942 to 1944. So, it's not a matter of if, but when I get to 'Saipan 44' and the Marianas. I also like that you have included a 1941 Guam scenario for the supplement. If Wake and Correigdor could get could get covered in the future as sideshows would be interesting for the 1941 period. Anyway, looking good!!!! Smile

You can also use the American pieces from Elsenborn Ridge or Cassino if you don't have Bulge yet.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
04-19-2014, 07:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2014, 07:46 AM by Brett Nicholson.)
Unfortunately I only own 'Airborne IE' for American Army units and there aren't even enough American pieces in that set to complete the full OOB in some of those scenarios! Likely 'Kokoda' will be next up as at least I have the Australians from 'Afrika Korps' to play 29 of the 30 scenarios in it. But eventually I will have to get BotB again because the maps and pieces from it are used in so many other supplements and I never completed all of it when I owned it years ago; think I played around 40 of the 51 then.
04-19-2014, 10:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2014, 11:01 PM by Brett Nicholson.)
I guess to keep this thread relative I would ask is how A-historical is the one 1941 Guam scenario? From what my limited research has gleaned the actual "battle" didn't even last more than a day, or even a few hours before the Americans surrendered and no casualty figures were given. The Guamanians were mentioned briefly for thier determination to resist but too gave in to the fact there was no hope in turning the tables against them, especially without unacceptable losses. Also wonder if the gunboat battle mentioned is also hypothetical as from what I read all American vessels were either sunk or disabled before the Japanese landings. Nothing wrong with a hypothetical scenario but perhaps there is more information concerning the brief conflict or skirmish. In the case of the Japanese Wake island invasion there was quite a battle that lasted at least a whole day before the Americans surrendered and the first wave of the Japanese SNLF was virtually decimated after landing before overwhelming numbers forced the marines to yield.